want to buy a new pc but confused so much. help?

Associate
Hi

i want to play simulator games such as formula 1, digital combat simulator and x-plane 11 as well as the new microsoft flight simulator coming soon all at high settings,also i like ot edit game clips on my pc using sony vegas,after effects etc and i also do photo editing so it would have to handle those too without issues. i would also like to have a blue ray player and normal cd/dvd drive included as well as a decent sound card that would sound awesome,and SSD that would manage most regular stuff you add on your computer as well as say a 4tb hard drive additionally or more.

it would have to be able to connect to the internet via wifi and ethernet too and a decent keyboard and mouse with speakers.
something that could do 4k and VR in the future would be good too.
now i am not tech minded or graphically savvy so have no clue what graphics card and motherboard to get with video ram and gb etc hence the original question above so if you could come up with a few options on the lower scale and higher scale of price brackets that would be super awesome for me.

i am so confused as to what to look out for, what to buy that isn't gonna cost me loads later on in upgrading again not for a few years anyway,with so much out there even building one myself seems to daunting and i don't want to spend money unnecessarily or spend money that turns out to be wasteful if you know what i mean.

wayne

Associate
OP
i saw this one is it any good?

Specifications:

Processor: Intel i5 4690k 3.5GHz with Turbo Boost technology

Graphics: Asus Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 OC 6GB

RAM: 16GB HyperX RAM

Storage: 1TB HDD 7200RPM

Associate
You will probably get more of a response if you put an upper budget on there.
You haven’t mentioned monitor, do you need one?

above system is going to struggle with vr and 4K.

Associate
OP
yeah sorry, i have a 4k monitor already as i have an xbox one x so will end up hooking it up to that too,my upper budget i guess would be in the region of say 3,000 pounds but looking at already built machines as opposed to building one or getting one built for me as this will save me money. i'd start with say 1000 lower end and then upwards towards 3000.

Soldato
Processor: Intel i5 4690k 3.5GHz with Turbo Boost technology

No. That's many generations out of date.

For VR you want a minimum of a GTX 1070 / GTX 1660 Super / RX 5700 XT to avoid too much reprojection.

i guess would be in the region of say 3,000 pounds

Nae problem then. Get yourself a Ryzen 3950, a X570 motherboard, 32 GB RAM, and a RTX 2080 Ti at the high end (a bit over £2000) or a Ryzen 3700, B450 motherboard, 16 GB RAM, and a RTX 2070 Super (a bit over £1000) at the low end.

OCUK will build your system for you for a modest surcharge.

Associate
OP
is this one any good @Quartz ?

i7 7700k 4.2ghz
Asus ROG Strix GTX 1070
Samsung 850 Evo 500gb SSD
Asus ROG z270e motherboard
Corsair Crystal 570x Tempered Glass Case
Corsair H115i AIO Water Cooler
Corsair CX850M PSU
16gb HyperX Fury Ram (2x8gb sticks)

otherwise if not i will go through and look at the website with the specs you mention above..

Man of Honour
For 4K and VR you need the highest tier of graphics card, anything less is going to struggle; a 1060 has no chance at that resolution and I'd look for much more performance than a 1070 unless you're playing really old stuff. If you read some reviews and watch some videos @ 4K in games of the fastest graphics cards e.g. RTX 2080 and RTX 2070, it'll give you an idea what performance level to expect from recent games.

For your editing needs usually it's a good idea to pick more cores, threads and RAM than for your gaming needs, but I'm not sure which order to prioritise them, or how important single-thread performance is to vegas, after effects and your photo editing. Looking at some reviews for CPUs with higher core counts, like the Ryzen 9 3950X and it should give you some indication of the requirements (because they will benchmark those kind of programs), and how much you are prepared to pay to do your editing faster.

I'm not sure what flight sims need, but worth looking into that too. I would guess that memory and graphics card VRAM are important, not sure about CPU cores, but seems likely?

I would compare what you're looking at to a baseline, like the Ryzen 9 3900X and the Radeon 5700 XT, then how much more you have to pay for better performance and is it worth it? This site is a good place to start when comparing performance, but it's not foolproof and some the descriptions/write-ups are whacky or out-of-date so I'd ignore those:

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-RX-5700-XT-vs-Nvidia-RTX-2070/4045vs4029
https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-Ryzen-9-3900X-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-3600/4044vs4040

Techpowerup also give you a relative performance % if you look up the specs:
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/geforce-rtx-2070.c3252

For your budget, you shouldn't really be looking at anything old, so for CPU only AMD Ryzen 3000 or for Intel 9th or 10th gen (with 8 cores or more) and for graphics card AMD 5700 XT or higher and for NVIDIA RTX 2060 or higher. I wouldn't accept less than 32GB of memory and only choose a graphics card with the higher memory capacity if it has two options, because 4K will almost certainly need it.

Back
Top Bottom