Want to get a 6 monitor setup for my Dad...

Soldato
Utter rubbish. Text size will be whatever size the app allows.
In this case it's browser based so you could just use browser zoom as well as per monitor doing scaling whilst remaining at native resolution.

The 25" superwide will be terrible and suffer from the exact issue you are trying to describe - the dot pitch is smaller than the typical 1080P 24", same as if the op went with a single small 4k screen, yes the resolution is the same as 4x 1080p screens, but you need to go 40"+ to get a useable dot pitch.

im aware about screen scaling for zoom, the point was it would look terrible on 6 screens if its setup to portray one big screen, if he was to have different things on each monitor then fair enough, but the OP hasnt mentioned such and not all monitors will look right zoomed in,

well i chose the screen because its widescreen and cheap considering lol, i personally dont see the need to get too big of a screen either way unless you sit on the sofa.

Associate
OP
im aware about screen scaling for zoom, the point was it would look terrible on 6 screens if its setup to portray one big screen, if he was to have different things on each monitor then fair enough, but the OP hasnt mentioned such and not all monitors will look right zoomed in,

well i chose the screen because its widescreen and cheap considering lol, i personally dont see the need to get too big of a screen either way unless you sit on the sofa.
this is definitely about having different things on different screens - he has like 8-9 browsers running at once - sorry didn't make that clear

Soldato
this is definitely about having different things on different screens - he has like 8-9 browsers running at once - sorry didn't make that clear

ah okay fair enough then, how it came across it seemed like what i and most do and have many taps open under one screen to flick through.

have you looked at the stands to support such?

Associate
OP
Yeah I got him one of those 3 arm stands and currently has one HD and two older VGA monitors on there - I do like the idea of replacing those two older ones with ultrawides when they pack up - means I can get away with relatively normal GPU

Soldato
In a perfect world for anything business related you should not be using Geforce or Radeon cards, the reason is these cards drivers are tied up with gaming releases. Of course in reality you would be perfectly fine using a Geforce or Radeon card, however if you have the option not to then don't.

What you should be doing is copying what pretty much every trading computer in London uses, that's use Nvidia Quadro. Firstly the drivers are super stable, second you get NView and you can split one screen into multiple screens.

And just because I mentioned the world Quadro does not mean you suddenly have the spend thousands of pounds on cards...

On a popular auction site there is loads of Quadro NVS 310's, some are new, some are clean pulls, just make sure you get the 1GB versions. There is a brand new in box 310 at the moment for £30 with postage. I have also spotted a NVS 315 brand new in box £21 with postage no bids. Basically an NVS 310, or NVS 315 can power 2 screens, so if you want 4 screens you buy either 2 NVS 315, or 2 NVS 310's.

If you want to have just 1 card running 4 screens, then go Quadro NVS P600, these are £190 new, there much faster then above, however for 2D work the NVS 310's and NVS 315 are still plenty.

So in summary, you could get 2 NVS 1GB 310's brand new for around £60 from the popular auction site. The cards would be super stable, power 4 monitors, and you get all the Nview goodness below.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/design-visualization/solutions/nview-display/

Associate
OP
In a perfect world for anything business related you should not be using Geforce or Radeon cards, the reason is these cards drivers are tied up with gaming releases. Of course in reality you would be perfectly fine using a Geforce or Radeon card, however if you have the option not to then don't.

What you should be doing is copying what pretty much every trading computer in London uses, that's use Nvidia Quadro. Firstly the drivers are super stable, second you get NView and you can split one screen into multiple screens.

And just because I mentioned the world Quadro does not mean you suddenly have the spend thousands of pounds on cards...

On a popular auction site there is loads of Quadro NVS 310's, some are new, some are clean pulls, just make sure you get the 1GB versions. There is a brand new in box 310 at the moment for £30 with postage. I have also spotted a NVS 315 brand new in box £21 with postage no bids. Basically an NVS 310, or NVS 315 can power 2 screens, so if you want 4 screens you buy either 2 NVS 315, or 2 NVS 310's.

If you want to have just 1 card running 4 screens, then go Quadro NVS P600, these are £190 new, there much faster then above, however for 2D work the NVS 310's and NVS 315 are still plenty.

So in summary, you could get 2 NVS 1GB 310's brand new for around £60 from the popular auction site. The cards would be super stable, power 4 monitors, and you get all the Nview goodness below.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/design-visualization/solutions/nview-display/
That's interesting - thank you - I had a crack at costing a build for that - see my prev post - the only thing I would have to deal with is the compatibility of the monitors - ie would need to go DP straight away. I think this is the probably the right way forward for him in the long run tho....

Soldato
That's interesting - thank you - I had a crack at costing a build for that - see my prev post - the only thing I would have to deal with is the compatibility of the monitors - ie would need to go DP straight away. I think this is the probably the right way forward for him in the long run tho....

You just have a display port to DVI adapter (there are also display port to VGA adapters), make sure you get a Dual Link adapter as Dual Link carries more bandwidth, this is important if your using bigger displays.

Get a quality one such as a Dell one, search 023NVR on the popular auction site, there not expensive.

Soldato

Just an observation on above, with the silenced case I presume you want a silent build. Well don't get the Corsair Bronze, or any other Bronze PSU as the noise is to much.

This would be totally passive for your wattage (fan won't spin).

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/seas...plus-gold-modular-power-supply-ca-05p-ss.html

I expect this super flower below may also be good, however I don't know much about these, but can vouch for the Seasonics.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/supe...us-platinum-power-supply-black-ca-055-sf.html

Soldato
You could connect the VGA displays using USB to VGA adapters (about £12 each). They won't have great performance, but if all you're doing is displaying a browser window they should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom