Want to learn Electronics 101

Associate
Hey all

I really want to start learning electronics! i have no idea where to start and im completley new to the subject and have non what soever past experiance, looking for book suggestions / websites, etc. I really want to get into PIC Programming aswell

cheers for any help!

Permabanned
spm_uk said:
Hey all

I really want to start learning electronics! i have no idea where to start and im completley new to the subject and have non what soever past experiance, looking for book suggestions / websites, etc. I really want to get into PIC Programming aswell

cheers for any help!

Why not buy a GCSE Electronics study guide?

If it looks ok then you could probably take a GCSE at night school or a local Adult Education college, then move on to an A-Level?

Soldato
I have been learning Electronics recenlty.

Good books -

Starting Electronics - Keith Brindley
Art Of Electronics - Horowitz & Hill

I am also working my way through build your own video game console by Andre Lamothe which is very interesting, It explains how to code and program for the sx microcontroller which is more powerfull than a pic chip.

Andres site is here -

http://www.xgamestation.com/

Associate
I learnt Electronics for 6 years at college (ONC, HNC, HND) - It's mostly forgotten as I don't touch any of it these days when I moved over to IT

I would say though, if you are really interested, that a college course would be your best bet. There are some good books around, but IMO certain areas of electronics can get quite deep and complicated quite quickly - having someone to actually talk you through it beats self learning hands down.

Chaos said:
Art Of Electronics - Horowitz & Hill

Is that the massive thick silver book ? - if it is, its certainly one of the best books out there on electronics.

Associate
http://www.rev-ed.co.uk/picaxe/ any use to you?

I've done Electronics for GCSE... got the exam some time next week can't remember when exactly. Gonna do it for A level too :)

Here's a list of topics off the top of my head, you could have a look into them:
Logic Gates
Decade Counters (4017)
Differences between CMOS and TTL
555 timers - Astables and Monostables
Display Drivers
PICs
Op-Amps

Hmm can't think of any more but that looks like a very short list :eek:

Associate
OP
Hey thanks for all the replys, i really want to take up the subject of automation and robotics controlled via computer systems. This is advance planning (3 years) :| for my university thesis where i want to impliment computer games crossing to the physical side and not only software based, Interactive Gaming :D

Back
Top Bottom