• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Wanting to upgrade from Ryzen 5 1600 > 3600 with a B350 Mobo?

Associate
Hi guys, so as the title suggest I'm wondering whether it is worth upgrading my Ryzen 5 1600 to a 3600. I honestly don't want to go through the hassle and also the added expensive of installing a new b450 motherboard. I would like to know if it will work and if I'll notice a decent increase in performance (use it mainly for gaming)?

Currently using an rtx 2070 and thinking my current cpu may be bottlenecking it slightly.

Would appreciate your thoughts :)

Man of Honour
What resolution and refresh/fps target, do you play at?

Is the 1600 overclocked? Is it the newer AF or the original version?

Which motherboard model is the B350?

Associate
OP
What resolution and refresh/fps target, do you play at?

Is the 1600 overclocked? Is it the newer AF or the original version?

Which motherboard model is the B350?

I play at 1440p and have a refresh of 144hz but ideally anything around or above 60ps is my target depending on quality.

The 1600 is overclocked to 3.6ghz (from 3.2). I'm not totally sure about that, although I did buy it back in 2017 so possibly the original version?
Also I use a Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 motherboard.

I know I will need to update my bios but just want to know if it will be compatible and stable keeping this mobo.

Associate
I've just replaced my Ryzen 5 1600 with a Ryzen 7 3800XT and it's working perfectly well in my Asus ROG Strix B350-F motherboard (newest BIOS). I feared my B350 wouldn't extract maximum performance from the 3800XT initially but when I compare my Cinebench results it seems performance is no different to the likes of B450/B550 and even X470/X570 boards.

I also play at 1440p/144hz and the biggest difference I can see in my somewhat limited gaming since installing the 3800XT is my minimum FPS is higher so everything runs much smoother. My 1600 was overclocked to 3.8GHz all cores for reference. I see no reason why a 3600 wouldn't do the same for you with the higher clocks and better IPC compared to the 1600.

I've just quickly checked your Gigabyte board's supported CPUs and all 3rd Gen Ryzen CPUs appear to be supported with an appropriate BIOS version. I see no reason why you couldn't update your BIOS, install a 3600 and things will just work :)

Associate
OP
I've just replaced my Ryzen 5 1600 with a Ryzen 7 3800XT and it's working perfectly well in my Asus ROG Strix B350-F motherboard (newest BIOS). I feared my B350 wouldn't extract maximum performance from the 3800XT initially but when I compare my Cinebench results it seems performance is no different to the likes of B450/B550 and even X470/X570 boards.

I also play at 1440p/144hz and the biggest difference I can see in my somewhat limited gaming since installing the 3800XT is my minimum FPS is higher so everything runs much smoother. My 1600 was overclocked to 3.8GHz all cores for reference. I see no reason why a 3600 wouldn't do the same for you with the higher clocks and better IPC compared to the 1600.

I've just quickly checked your Gigabyte board's supported CPUs and all 3rd Gen Ryzen CPUs appear to be supported with an appropriate BIOS version. I see no reason why you couldn't update your BIOS, install a 3600 and things will just work :)

Thanks for your detailed response man!!

Great to hear that you've recently done something similar and it's worked out well.

I guess this is something I may have to consider for xmas then!

Back
Top Bottom