Warcraft - the movie

Caporegime
This is going to be awesome, mark my words. Blizzard have a bit of a reputation for making sure their releases are as perfect as they can be, or they won't release them. Just look at the quality and fluidity of their games, Starcraft, Warcraft, Diablo, even Hearthstone are immaculately polished titles. They can't release this then patch it, it has to be perfect right off the bat and they know it.

This is their chance to launch the Warcraft franchise to the masses. It was always for gamers and nerds but this will shine a light on what is quite possibly one of the most riveting series lore wise, they could do a few films, books, tv series and still have lore over to do more.

I hope this does bring Warcraft to the masses, there's so much potential it's unreal.

Associate
This is going to be awesome, mark my words. Blizzard have a bit of a reputation for making sure their releases are as perfect as they can be, or they won't release them. Just look at the quality and fluidity of their games, Starcraft, Warcraft, Diablo, even Hearthstone are immaculately polished titles. They can't release this then patch it, it has to be perfect right off the bat and they know it.

This is their chance to launch the Warcraft franchise to the masses. It was always for gamers and nerds but this will shine a light on what is quite possibly one of the most riveting series lore wise, they could do a few films, books, tv series and still have lore over to do more.

I hope this does bring Warcraft to the masses, there's so much potential it's unreal.

Err, Diablo 3? :confused:

Soldato
The cgi alone will put a large portion off, regardless of whether the look is international or not.

and just because Blizzard can make half decent games, doesn't imply they can make a half decent movie. People seem to forget that this film has been in production hell since 2006!

Associate
Decent enough cast, stories from the games have always been good, if done correctly it should be ok. I'm sure it'll pull in huge numbers regardless though.

Soldato
I trust Blizzard to have a lot of input into the movie so if that's the case it is bound to be good because they have done such amazing work with some of their cinematic over the years of WoW.

The Warcraft lore is really intriguing and has so much potential to start a great movie franchise.

Caporegime
Why do people think Blizzard has creative control, or any control over marketing?

According to a few reports, a few professors, and friends it would appear that Universal is not sure how to market this film, and are already worried about the potential box office return.

I think, personally, it will do well (relative) and I trust Duncan Jones (I'm a fan of his previous work, and of him).

Associate
I think it will be abit stale but the orc's v human's battle could save it
Trailer does look good
ok ok i played wow for years, and im stocked
i will bet 1$ that Leeroy is in the film

Last edited:
Associate
I really enjoy the Warcraft lore from the Games & Books. It's rich and full of great stories. I don't think the Movie is going to be as enjoyable as the in game world or the various novels but it looks like it has the potential to be a good movie. Humans & Orcs sounds like a great way to introduce everyone to the world but ultimately i would like to see a richer expanded universe.

Either way, I'll be there on the opening night screaming 'Polymorph' at my friends and throwing an inflatable sheep around.

Soldato
Just saw that Empire have reviewed Warcraft, and I couldn't help but laugh at the 2/5 score. 21% so far on RT; so much for Warcraft breaking the trend of game to film adaptations ending up rubbish. Not wholly unexpected, but a shame nonetheless. Making a good Warcraft film that appeals to non gamers was always going to be a difficult task.

Still, could have been worse, had Blizzard sold the rights to Uwe Boll. Alone in the Dark, was impressively bad. That's quite some skill, to make a film that gets more 100 reviews, but only manages to get 1%.

Anyway: Assassins Creed, up next, which might fare better; unless of course, it's impossible to make a really good film adaptation of a game.

Soldato
Just saw that Empire have reviewed Warcraft, and I couldn't help but laugh at the 2/5 score. 21% so far on RT; so much for Warcraft breaking the trend of game to film adaptations ending up rubbish. Not wholly unexpected, but a shame nonetheless. Making a good Warcraft film that appeals to non gamers was always going to be a difficult task.

Still, could have been worse, had Blizzard sold the rights to Uwe Boll. Alone in the Dark, was impressively bad. That's quite some skill, to make a film that gets more 100 reviews, but only manages to get 1%.

Anyway: Assassins Creed, up next, which might fare better; unless of course, it's impossible to make a really good film adaptation of a game.

Critics are universally panning the film, general public are not, in-fact they like it. 8.2 on IMDB currently with 10k reviews. The only issues seem to be coming from people who know nothing about the warcraft universe, those who have played the games are in for a treat, plenty of nods to the games and the characters have meaning.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom