Warm duvet?

Soldato
Get an electric blanket, a decent brand is about £16 (unlike the pictures show they go under the sheet so you don't see them). Nothing is better on a cold night than getting into a seriously toasty bed :D.

As mentioned by everyone else though, Hungarian goose down duvets are great, but if your bed is cold when you get in it's still going to take a good while to warm up initially.
Definitely this, if the room is cold keeping the bed warm will be highly effective. Otherwise you need to keep the room warm 24/7.
Andi.

Soldato
the feathered / non-feathered may have the same tog value initially, but,
the feathered one, if looked after will give 10+ years of service and maintain its warmth versus the non-feathered where the insulation will degrade. - people I know are buying a non-feathered every couple of years.

Soldato
Brushed cotton sheets make all the difference more important than tog I find. We have an 8.5 tog king-size anti allergy with full brushed cotton bed set our guest bed has 13.5 tog goose down duvet with normal sheets and is always significantly colder than the brushed cotton bed

Soldato
I have a 13.5 tog duvet but its still cold at night. I put a throw over it and sometimes when i wake up i am all sweaty but still cold! Its not a natural feather duvet. Plus, being a single bed, the duvet only hangs over the edge a little bit.

Anyone got any ideas or views about duvets or how to make it warm in bed? (No, i sleep alone!!! :p)

Seriously? Where are you living, Greenland?! Its so mild lately I practically leave the window open. Unless its another Beast from the East then a regular duvet with a good TOG should suffice.

As said, mattress topper. You can get feather, cheapo ones like hollow fibre or my fav, micro fibre.

Then top up on top. TOG is the same no matter the material, just some survive better than others.

We got a new one recently from IKEA, their feather range and its really really good. Its not a high tog, something like 7 and TBH its probably too hot for me, but she likes it super toasty.

FTM

FTM

Soldato
Heat the room up instead?

I've got a king size bed and share with the good lady wife, but in summer I don't use a duvet at all (just a cover) and in winter I use a 4.5 Tog 'summer' duvet.

I also sleep naked, and am rarely cold.
my missus i of a certain age now and its like sleeping next to an AGA

Feather and down just means a thinner and lighter duvet for the same rating, there should be no difference in warmth as that’s the whole point of the tog rating.

Funny I would say the opposite in regards thinner and lighter. Our feather one is thicker (plumper maybe) and heavier than the man made. I think the feather ones stay in good condition far better than the man made I have ever owned, which means they are more consistent.

Associate
Try more thinner layers rather than one thick duvet. This is what you are meant to do for clothing in the extreme cold, so should work for bed covers. I always have my duvet, and then a blanket over top that I can push off in my sleep if I get too hot.

Back
Top Bottom