Warner to end High Definition media wars?

Soldato
PCPRO said:
A research team from Warner Brothers has come up with a possible solution to the high definition DVD wars that are threatening to scuttle the whole transition to a new format: support both Blu-ray and HD DVD formats, along with the standard DVD format, on a single disk. The engineers at Warner Brothers have filed a patent for the solution to what appears to be an insurmountable compatibility problem between the two formats - they store their information in 'pits' on the disks at different depths. Blue-ray discs store information only 0.1 millimetres from the surface while HD DVD discs store it at 0.6 millimetres.

The team has overcome the problem by coming up with what is being termed a 'multilayer dual optical disk'. The hybrid disk would have one layer of data in the standard CD or DVD format, a second layer able to play one high-capacity format and a third layer for the other high-capacity format. By the use of reflective films, the team claim their new disk allows the lasers to read the top layer and 'see through' to the lower one.

The solution seems similar to the triple layered DVD from Toshiba announced just a week ago. However, while for commercial reasons, Toshiba only developed the third layer to boost the capacity of its own HD DVD format, the Warner Brothers team has taken the logical next step and turned the third layer over to Blu-Ray.

If the solution takes off, it could provide a boost for the high definition DVD industry. The fierce battle between the two formats means customers having to choose between them or adopting a wait-and-see attitude. The chance of lift off for high definition DVD would certainly look much rosier, with an investment in an expensive blue laser player not wasting through a lack of compatible titles.

Steve Malone
Well this is going to make things interesting...

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Interesting idea, but why would anyone bother?
What I mean by that is that both sides want the other side to fail. Creating a compatible disk gives more room for the other side to do well.
Strikes me that neither side will really want to use it.

Mr_Sukebe said:
Interesting idea, but why would anyone bother?
What I mean by that is that both sides want the other side to fail. Creating a compatible disk gives more room for the other side to do well.
Strikes me that neither side will really want to use it.

The money is in the disk used. I don't know if this new disk will have to pay a royalties fee to Sony and Toshiba, but either waythis disk will cost a lot more than either of them and it will be Warner brothers that will take the lions share of the profit on these disks.

As such I doubt Sony and Toshiba will take much interest in allowing their formats to share a disk. They couldn't agree to work together in previously why would they do it now?

Soldato
Also surely this means that less storage for each title / version is available

Ie if the hybrid disc has a complete capacity of 50GB - only around 15GB will be available per version - more than ok for standard DVD but I wouldnt have thought hiDEf material would be that good at relatively high compression?

Interesting none the less

Back
Top Bottom