Washer jet adjustment on Micra

Soldato
Any one know how to adjust the angle on these, they are weird! quick google didn't really turn anything up.

Currently they are aimed right at the bottom of the windscreen so I just need to angle them up a little bit as most of the water sprayed out gets wasted!

Thanks for any tips!

Soldato
OP
Thanks, had a go with a cork board push pin...no dice.. maybe i need a longer pin for better leverage.

I tried using a butter knide to see if the whole round slit thing can be angled up but not sure if I'm getting enough purchase on it, seems to be prising the whole square unit thing up and potentially mangling the slit...hmmm..

Soldato
Tried unblocking them with fuse wire or similar? Would need to disconnect the input and feed it through a couple times, pretty sure it's doable on them if you can get to the hoses.

Soldato
OP
Tried unblocking them with fuse wire or similar? Would need to disconnect the input and feed it through a couple times, pretty sure it's doable on them if you can get to the hoses.

Thanks, They are not blocked as far as I can tell, they are just aimed a bit too low, the jets kinda hit the wipers when the wipers are in the bottom 'home' position...so the wipers push most of the water off the bottom of the screen when they sweep..

I mean I can cope with it, but it feels like i have to use about 4 times more water than I really need to, so it's kind of irritating!

I suppose ideally I want to angle them up enough so the water hits the screen about 10cm higher

EDIT - guess ensuring the jets are not gummed up with muck can't hurt, as they could be forcing the spray to come out at a funny (ie. too low) angle.... but both left and right jets seem to spray exactly the same (low) so a blockage wasn't my first thought.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I normally use a sewing needle (pretty strong steel) to re-target(raise.lower) and clean jets ... just make sure you don't break it off.

Yeah I get that, as I've done it on other cars before - stick a pin in the front orrafice, and just pull it to the direction you want..but that doesn't seem to be the case with these wierd washer jets.

Theres no clear 'hole' it looks more like a screw driver slit, and from my tentative efforts so far, it seems like 'janking' it too hard will just chew up the slit/plastic housing.

Last edited:
Soldato
Maybe I should just be brave and 'pop' the block off.

It's a really stupid design.
Without knowing the exact micra model K21/31 etc it's hard to advise but nissan parts have pumps about £40 and nozzles around £8 each. Could be a split or kinked hose if both nozzles changed at the same time too.

Soldato
yes that's interesting - more robust than my needle;

i have taken them off in the past and left in soak in citric acid, & pushed some fluid through with a syringe, bmw's have these stupid one way valves before the nozzle that get gunked up, so excised those on both jets.

Soldato
If they were fine before and now aren't, they will be blocked. Usually there is a filter attached to the bottle, that can block especially if someone used washing up liquid or left washer in there for ages. It goes gooey after a while.

They can be a pain to adjust on some cars, so only start that if you are sure :D

Last edited:
Soldato
you don't do them every week ? - I'm convinced some people target them partially over the roof and they buy these stupid scented washer fluids too, to deposit on following cars.
(but people buy all this smelly stuff to use in their houses too - or the marketting company pursuades them)

before changing wash brands I had siphoned out contents of previous filler tank and washed out with fairy liquid and a home radiator brush, and then siphoned that.

Soldato
you don't do them every week ? - I'm convinced some people target them partially over the roof and they buy these stupid scented washer fluids too, to deposit on following cars.
(but people buy all this smelly stuff to use in their houses too - or the marketting company pursuades them)

before changing wash brands I had siphoned out contents of previous filler tank and washed out with fairy liquid and a home radiator brush, and then siphoned that.

I remember people adjusting them way to the side to bullseye cyclists years ago. You can't do that on modern cars though :D

Back
Top Bottom