Washing machine motor - Carbon Brush & Screw Bit?

Associate
Hi all. I've got a Hoover DXP410AIB3 washing machine for about 4 years now. It stopped working about a week ago...drum doesn't spin. The drive belt is fine. Contacted Hoover customer services and some Internet research..everything points toward the carbon brushes which are supposed to be located in the motor. I've taken the motor out but for the love of God cannot see where they are. They must be inside the housing of the motor but there are these 4 screw/type things the closest word I can use to describe is they look like rivets.

Anyway I've posted a picture would really appreciate if anyone knows what type of screws(?) These are and what type of bit I will need? Many thanks in advance.

free pic host

zVttj4p

Last edited:
Soldato
They appear to be rivets. Not designed to come out.

If there are changeable brushes they'll probably be under the black cover on the back end.

Actually, probably not under that cover, but certainly at the back end.

Associate
OP
They appear to be rivets. Not designed to come out.

If there are changeable brushes they'll probably be under the black cover on the back end.

Actually, probably not under that cover, but certainly at the back end.

Thanks for response bremen1874. I should've mentioned that I opened that black cover and there's nothing under there. It appears to just cover the other end of the rotary mechanism?

Associate
OP
Ah yes ok I've seen in drills before too. I suppose helps make the machines more silent and economical? Nevertheless, seems like a whole motor replacement then(!)

Thank you so much for your responses. Was a basic solution but didn't come across any of this stuff so thank you. :rolleyes::)

Soldato
Ah yes ok I've seen in drills before too. I suppose helps make the machines more silent and economical? Nevertheless, seems like a whole motor replacement then(!)

Thank you so much for your responses. Was a basic solution but didn't come across any of this stuff so thank you. :rolleyes::)
It's more likely to be the motor controller that has gone, not the motor.

Edit:
@Mr.Cookie
Sorry, completely missed your post in a rush to make my own post. :o

Soldato
@manisinghb
Being a brushless motor, there likely won't be a start capacitor. Your investigations should really begin at the motor controller PCB, but they are complicated. Washing machines aren't quite as easy to repair at home as they used to be, sadly. :(

If you want an idea of what parts are in your machine, look here: https://www.hooverspares.co.uk/washing/washing-machine/dxp-410aib31-80-31006520/catalogue.pl?path=1056567,1056552&model_ref=11872838

@Mr.Cookie
https://www.hooverspares.co.uk/wash...86150&path=1056567,1056552&model_ref=11872838
Am I right in thinking that this is the motor controller PCB?

Last edited:
Soldato
@darael I'm electrolux group so not sure on hoover, one thing I would suggest is to do an insulation test on whole appliance just to rule out nothing upsetting electronics.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom