Watch Dogs

Caporegime
New trailer

The game that stole E3 for me has been given a release date of November 19 in the USA and in Europe on November 22 for PS3/360 & Wii U.

But more importantly

Additionally, the company has revealed that the open-world action-adventure game will be available as launch title for the PlayStation 4, and is "also planned for other next-generation consoles" so the next Xbox.

Several special editions will be available:

In addition, four Collector's Editions of the game have been unveiled: the Dedsec Edition, the Vigilante Edition, the Uplay Exclusive Edition and the Special Edition.
The Dedsec Edition is the big one, and includes a figurine of player character Aiden Pearce, a steelbook and collector box, artbook and soundtrack, four augmented reality collectible cards and three badges, as well as a map of the game's Chicago. Additionally, three single player missions will be provided as digital content, adding around an hour of additional gameplay; the Palace Pack, centred on a police raid of an Internet mogul; Signature Shot, dealing with a biometrics weapon smuggled into Chicago; and the Breakthrough Pack, which tasks you with outing the criminals holding corporate CEOs to ransom.
The Vigilante Edition comes with a collector box, Aiden's cap and mask, and the game's soundtrack along with the Palace Pack mission, the Uplay Exclusive Edition comes with the steelbook and the three single player missions mentioned above and, finally, the Special Edition comes with the Breakthrough pack.

Cannot wait for this game. Hope I can pick it up with a launch next box.

Last edited:
Soldato
Beat me to it! Was searching for a topic because I couldn't believe there wasn't one already.

I've been following this one closely too, it looks excellent, especially if it lives up to the gameplay preview shown off last year. I might be tempted to wait though and leave it for when I get eventually get a PS4, it'll be interesting to see if it ends up being the same game on both current and next-gen consoles, or if they have to make some cutbacks.

Caporegime
I might be biased, but as its Ubisoft Ill wait til people here have it before I even contemplate buying it. Should be the first multi-plat for next-gen so Ill be keeping an eye on it...

ps3ud0 :cool:

Soldato
I searched too :p

I'd be very surprised if it's an exact same experience on ps3/360 to ps4/next box.

Yeah. Was discussing with someone the other day about games that bridged generations, they mentioned Splinter Cell: Double Agent and it turns out the PS2/Xbox version of the game was made by a different studio to the 360/PS3/PC version and as such, was almost entirely different in terms of gameplay, levels and storyline.

Makes me wonder if technical limitations with current gen consoles could mean a similar thing again.

Soldato
I'm going to wait to get it on the new machines. obviously waiting to see what the xbox is going like etc.

as said above though. you would think it should be waaayyy better on the next gens coming, but there is always that worry that it will be the same game just look better. pc / consoles etc

Associate
Yeah. Was discussing with someone the other day about games that bridged generations, they mentioned Splinter Cell: Double Agent and it turns out the PS2/Xbox version of the game was made by a different studio to the 360/PS3/PC version and as such, was almost entirely different in terms of gameplay, levels and storyline.

Makes me wonder if technical limitations with current gen consoles could mean a similar thing again.
I doubt it. Games are crazy expensive to make even to current gen standards. It would be madness to make two different versions of this game. The next-gen console version of Watch Dogs will look essentially like a maxed-out PC version, at 1080p or lower. More effects, more physics stuff going on, etc.

You can attach cinematic effects to any decent current gen game and make it look surprisingly 'next-gen'. Bokeh depth of field will be a sure favourite of the early next-gen stuff. This can be seen in the various ENB mods for PC games like GTAIV and Skyrim.

Soldato
I doubt it. Games are crazy expensive to make even to current gen standards. It would be madness to make two different versions of this game. The next-gen console version of Watch Dogs will look essentially like a maxed-out PC version, at 1080p or lower. More effects, more physics stuff going on, etc.

You can attach cinematic effects to any decent current gen game and make it look surprisingly 'next-gen'. Bokeh depth of field will be a sure favourite of the early next-gen stuff. This can be seen in the various ENB mods for PC games like GTAIV and Skyrim.

I didn't mean there'd be two different versions of the game, but that they might end up scaling back the current-gen version of the game (or rather, adding more to the next-gen one).

Associate
Hmmm you seemed to be suggesting exactly that... comparing it to the two versions of Double Agent that was 'almost entirely different in terms of gameplay, levels and storyline'... ;)

From what they've shown of Watch Dogs so far, the stuff that makes it look 'next gen' is some fairly subtle visual effects, a large number of characters on screen, and lots of physics enhancements, like the guy's coat, random stuff blowing around, etc. Run all that at a high resolution and smooth framerate that a gaming PC is capable of, and you have something that looks worlds apart from what we typically see on 360/PS3.

However, the core gameplay is much like many sandboxy games of this generation - GTAIV for instance. Indeed, GTAV seems to be even more ambitious in some aspects, and they've got that running on current gen too. Run Watch Dogs at 720p or lower, cut out the costly effects, reduce the number of characters and objects on screen, and you can have exactly the same game running on 360/PS3.

Soldato
Hmmm you seemed to be suggesting exactly that... comparing it to the two versions of Double Agent that was 'almost entirely different in terms of gameplay, levels and storyline'... ;)

And then I said:

Similar, not the same. It was an example of a game being different across platforms/generations. Like I said, the thought was that they might choose to scale-back the current-gen version (of any game) for any number of reasons, potentially even just so they can market the next-gen one as being 'bigger and better'.

To clarify, as it seems I must, I'm not saying this will happen to Watch Dogs specifically, it was just a comment on games that bridge generations and what differences there might be.

Doesn't really require any more discussion anyway because until they reveal what the actual differences are between versions, it's all just speculation, and there's enough of that going round in this forum as it is.

Back
Top Bottom