**Water Cooling**NOOB !!

Soldato
WJA96 said:
You'll need to go some to beat a Reserator 2 - it's a VERY effective water cooler. It's as good as 2 Reserator 1's in series. Also have a google for "Alphacool Cape Cora 10" and "Preytek Serenity" as these are well-regarded alternative passive cooling systems. The Preytek is about to become available in the UK as a full kit for half the price of the Reserator 2 and it has proper water cooling components in the kit that you can upgrade with (it uses proper 3/8ths tubing for a start although it also uses G1/4 threads so you could make it 1/2" tubing if you wanted).

The AquaComputer PC-G70 triple radiator is available for about £235 if I recall correctly and the place that sells them will build it up properly with a Laing DDC pump and EK, Danger Den or Swiftech blocks for about another £100, so it's not cheap, but there will be very little that you couldn't cool with that set-up.

Excellent, i've contacted Preytek and they have put me in touch with their UK supplier and they are updating their site with the Serenity tonight (talk about efficiency!)

Is the Serenity going to be able to give me the kind of performance that the Reserator 2 will? I'm going to be using it to cool my 8800GTO and e6600, could you recommend me some decent blocks to go with them? I'm a bit unsure about fittings too, sorry i'm a bit new to this!

Soldato
oli collett said:
Excellent, i've contacted Preytek and they have put me in touch with their UK supplier and they are updating their site with the Serenity tonight (talk about efficiency!)

Is the Serenity going to be able to give me the kind of performance that the Reserator 2 will? I'm going to be using it to cool my 8800GTO and e6600, could you recommend me some decent blocks to go with them? I'm a bit unsure about fittings too, sorry i'm a bit new to this!

If you contact the UK distributor they can give you advice about that sort of thing. I have discussed it extensively with them (as late as last Friday). The conclusion I came to was that I would need two loops - one for the CPU and one for the graphics and Northbridge. That will give temperatures as good as the best 240mm radiators with fans. If it was me, I would buy the Serenity 'bulk' (just the radiator) with a couple of XSPC pumps and EK waterblocks with 1/2" fittings throughout. That will still be significantly cheaper than the Reserator 2, work better than the Reserator 2 and glow blue in the dark much more satisfyingly than the Reserator 2. And because everything is 1/2" you can always buy a big, active, radiator at a later date and keep the rest of the equipment. The UK distributor is excellent (I'm just about to place an order for a customised Lian Li PC7+ with them) and very responsive on e-mail. they also have discussion forums and I would suggest you join up there as well so as not to upset the OcUK people too much ;)

Associate
weescott said:
Break up and clog the system???? Where were you using it? :confused:

I have never heard of this happening before!

The width of your average roll off PTFE tape is wider than the thickness of the threaded portion of the res. The tape on the threaded portion of the installed barb that is exposed to the turbulent coolant degrades and ends up going round the loop. In my loop it was caught by my nexxos xp block. Only found out when I upgraded to a Fusion.

Not much to understand is it??

Matt

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom