Ddc xspc top - 1.87GPM
Ddc xspc res top - 1.86GPM
D5 setting 4 (EK X-top rev2) - 1.72GPM
DDC pro (Alphacool res top) – 1.53GPM
-------
D5 setting 4 – 1.63GPM
D5 setting 5 – 1.89GPM

Associate
U can't hear it at 4 gear?Sorry mate I don't believe in this - impossible.

Mine is silent at setting 5, it's not impossible.

I used a small square of acoustipak to dampen the vibrations against the case which is the only audible noise the d5 makes and after putting it on the acoustipak on setting 5 it is silent, my silent fans are more noisy.

Associate
OP
in order of noise level, gpm for a typical cpu/gpu loop

D5 setting 1 (EK X-top rev2) – 0.69GPM
D5 setting 2 (EK X-top rev2) - 1.00GPM
D5 setting 1 – 0.62 GPM
D5 setting 3 (EK X-top rev2) - 1.35GPM
D5 setting 2 – 0.92 GPM
DB-1 – 1.09 GPM
-------
Ddc stock – whoosh like but quiet – 1.37 GPM
D5 setting 5 (EK X-top rev2) - 1.99GPM
D5 setting 3 – 1.26GPM
Ddc xspc top - 1.87GPM
Ddc xspc res top - 1.86GPM
D5 setting 4 (EK X-top rev2) - 1.72GPM
DDC pro (Alphacool res top) – 1.53GPM
-------
D5 setting 4 – 1.63GPM
D5 setting 5 – 1.89GPM
im guessing that goes from quiet to loud.
is the dds the 10w or the 18w version?
as from what i heave read the ddc 10w should be quieter than the D5 on setting 3.

Associate
OP
Mine is silent at setting 5, it's not impossible.

I used a small square of acoustipak to dampen the vibrations against the case which is the only audible noise the d5 makes and after putting it on the acoustipak on setting 5 it is silent, my silent fans are more noisy.

really... that must be a lot of water flow for the noise level :)
i think the D5 noise must vary so much as some people say they can hear setting 3 and you say you cant hear setting 5.

what is your loop like? high flow or is it long and restricted?

Associate
Have to say I can't hear my D5 on setting 5, with the Koolance top fitted,... also it was totally silent at setting 4 with it placed directly on to a tiled floor with nothing used to absorber the vibrations.

The D5 running in my Hand at setting 5, you could hardly tell it was running !!!!
The Different tops available make a massive difference to the noise levels the D5 produces.

Associate
OP
Have to say I can't hear my D5 on setting 5, with the Koolance top fitted,... also it was totally silent at setting 4 with it placed directly on to a tiled floor with nothing used to absorber the vibrations.

The D5 running in my Hand at setting 5, you could hardly tell it was running !!!!
The Different tops available make a massive difference to the noise levels the D5 produces.

i am guessing the koolance top's are the best for noise reduction then?
what is your loop like, some people say they are not very good for loops that contain to many components or restrict flow a lot.
my loop might cintain 3 240rads gpu cpu and it will have some reasonably tight curves in the loop.
i was thinking i might even need dual 350 with the double top or run 2 different loops one for cpu and one for gpu.

Associate
really... that must be a lot of water flow for the noise level :)
i think the D5 noise must vary so much as some people say they can hear setting 3 and you say you cant hear setting 5.

what is your loop like? high flow or is it long and restricted?

I guess it could be classed as long, I would say medium but you can decide for youself, it's in my build log :)

I use a bitpower top for my d5 so that may help with noise but I haven't noticed any difference

Associate
Right guys, just done a test with a new vario with the standard top.

The new Vario produces more noise and vibes on setting 2 than the Koolance top version on setting 5!!!!!!!!!.

The Koolance top produces slightly less flow than the standard top, but there is not much in it .

SN, to answer your question, I'm running a Thermochill 120X3 , heat killer 3 CPU block, and a EK block on my 5870 all with high flow 1/2 fittings, so I would say my loop is middle to high flow.

So there you have it :)

Edit for Test spec

Test was,....... pump to res,.....res back to pump only.

Last edited:
Associate
OP

The new Vario produces more noise and vibes on setting 2 than the Koolance top version on setting 5!!!!!!!!!.

The Koolance top produces slightly less flow than the standard top, but there is not much in it .

SN, to answer your question, I'm running a Thermochill 120X3 , heat killer 3 CPU block, and a EK block on my 5870 all with high flow 1/2 fittings, so I would say my loop is middle to high flow.

Nice work. i think i might of been persuaded over to the 655 side now :)
how much do you think the top changed the flow?
im guessing the flow on setting 5 is still better than the flow on setting 3 with the vario?

Associate
OP
The Kooolance top = to 4 to 4+ compared to standard pumps 5.

If your going D5/Vario route, I'd chose thermochill rads every time, as they are high flow rads.

yeah my build should contain two 240 thermochill rads, it might include a thin 240 rad as well when i add a gpu to the loop.
the pump should be able to deal with all of that right?

Soldato

Edit for Test spec

Test was,....... pump to res,.....res back to pump only.

That very simular to my testing with the Ek top above.
I have it linked to a complete loop for my testing - thread is here
Only other differance is my test system is fan less / and conduced at night with a very low ambient noise level.
So pump noise is not drown out by fans or urban life
at stock the d5@4 and especially 5 has a dentist drill wine (but it is possable in a case with multipule fans its inaudible)
the ek top makes it significantly quieter.

also the ddc pro is the 10w pump

and the ek rev2 and Detroit Thermo top increases flowrate 8-10% here

edit: the new koolance COV-RP450 top is not the same is the old COV-PMP450A. (worse that stock flow)
There is no front inlet for starters and it allow direct res attachment - but I've not seen any reviews

Last edited:
Associate
edit: the new koolance COV-RP450 top is not the same is the old COV-PMP450A. (worse that stock flow)
There is no front inlet for starters and it allow direct res attachment - but I've not seen any reviews

This is the one I'm using. COV-RP450, you do have a front mounted inlet, or you can directly mount a res to it. (see pic)

cov-rp450_p0.jpg

The black piece, top left with the red sealing ring, is only used if you are fitting a res directly to the pump/face(the face shown in the pic) I've fitted a G1/4 fitting directly to the front face for inlet

Very impressed with it.

My DCC 10W with xpc top always seem to whine, to much for me, so it is
now only kept for a back up

Last edited:
Associate
The inside/inner face of the Koolance top (COV-RP450), now looks like the X-top and DT top.
Not like as shown in the top left of the pic below.

I had to import mine from GE

D5_Tops.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
OP

i have read your tests and they seem to be done very well :)
is it still possible to get hold of the old koolance top?
and is there anything out now that is better (noise wise) or is the new koolance top and other tops out there atm for the D5 just not as quiet?

Associate
You don't want the old top that's the one thad does not perform well.

Any top will be an upgrade from the standard top(noise)

Myself and Shadow are looking for quiet solutions,
mine runs my i7-860 with easy @4GHz and very, very quietly, only thing I hear on my comp now is my Samsung F3 HD now and then.

Associate
OP
Troop thats what im after, the tread was to find the quietist pump that can do the job well while still offering good performance.
what setting is your D5 at? i am guessing 1-2?
also what dose your loop contain?

Associate
OP
Troop sorry assumed someone elce posted there setup.
Sounds very good :)
my loop should only be a little bit more restrictive as im planing on using 7/16" tubing and planing on getting fatboy barbs but i will have more resistance from the extra rads.
guess my setup would be a medium flow?

Back
Top Bottom