Water cooling

Associate
Waste of time effort and money if you ask me.

Just cpu watercooling - especially a cheap kit will be rubbish, certainly hardly any cooler and no quieter than decent air.

A decent heatpipe cooler with a quiet 120mm fan will do the job just as well and save you dosh.

The water cooling will use a fan of similar size and noise and have the pump noise/vibration too.

Only benefit I can see is " ooo look at me, I've got watercooling"

Do it right or not at all.

- I am assuming that you are a typical OCUK user and have a relatively cool running A64.

Associate
OP
***F1ZZY*** said:
Waste of time effort and money if you ask me.

- I am assuming that you are a typical OCUK user and have a relatively cool running A64.

Nope, I have a really toasty Pentium D 805 I'm overclocking, and at 3.8Ghz its really pushing the thermal envelope and stopping me going any further.

I have Thermaltake Big Typhoon with a SilverStone FM 121 Fan strapped to the top of it at present. The case is a Thermaltake Soprano with 120mm in the front and in the back, and a HiperPower 580watt with a 120mm fan.

I know I can get it stable at 3.6, I'm trying to get it stable at 3.8, but with ramping up the voltage (I'm at 1.4250 at present) the Temps are starting to cause the processor to throttle, basically telling me I need to back off.

So without better cooling, I'm a bit stuffed going any further......

Soldato
The fin density of even the biggest heatpipe heatsinks is nowhere near a 120mm radiator. Also, with watercooling you can use radiators up to three times the size of a 120mm fan or even bigger if you want to use a car radiator.

Pumps can be silent; many are by design and many others can be made so.

As to the original poster, look at the Swiftech kits at OCUK. Many are out of stock but try to look out for the Apex kit coming back in stock.

Associate
if you are planning to go the lengths of installing watercooling for your cpu, you had might as well fork the extra for a GPU block and some tubing, it wont cost much and it well worth it tbh.

would be a lot of effort just to cool the CPU tbh.

Back
Top Bottom