Water filter

Associate
I wish to install a water filter in the kitchen in order to get filtered drinking water.

My tap has two connections and two taps (if that makes sense). This picture could help: http://i.imgur.com/1hZWQZZ.jpg

Now I do not wish to replace the taps, I simply wish to convert the cold tap into a filtered-only one. My understanding is that I can buy a Britta tap, however I don't wish to use their tap and I am hoping I can use my existing tap.

From the experience of those that have installed these, is it possible given the plumbing above, to do this without any tooling except a spanner...ie are the connections universal?

Whilst we are on the subject, is there any other brand of water filter that I should consider looking at?

Soldato
If I'm honest I'm not sure it's a great idea. The flow you get from them is fairly poor so when filling up pans etc for cooking it's going to take ages. If you don't mind waiting though it would be easy to fit it inline with the cold water feed I would imagine.

We have a filter mixer tap which has a separate handle for the filtered water. Plumbing it in is easy. As far as I can see the cold feed is just split into two. One to the cold feed of the main tap and then another to the filter.

Not sure about filter brands if I'm honest. But usually they recommend changing them every 6 months.

Associate
OP
I don't think ive ever used water in cooking if I am being honest, its always been from the kettle, but thanks for the warning.

I am trying to find a video (not by Britta themselves) of the flow you get when installed but I am struggling

Last edited:

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
You could just install a regular in line filter but as mentioned the flow will not be great through it. I use the water dispenser on my american fridge freezer (with inline filter on the supply) for drinks, and it is fantastic, but it wouldnt be fast enough for filling anything large or washing things etc...

Associate
I have one of these which I fitted to the mains supply in to the house, so that all taps are filtered, it works out much cheaper than a single tap filter, and you can drink filtered water from all taps. The carbon block filter has been in for 12 months and is now due for replacement, I am interested to see how much sediment it has collected as this is effectively a 5 micron filter as well.

This is the 20" filter so no water pressure drop.

processed.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Well, I was trying to take off the old filter and snapped the tap in half pretty much! Macho man fail or what! Lol

Looks like I'm in need for a new tap now so am open to suggestions for any filter taps people can recommend!

Currently debating on getting this one...

Back
Top Bottom