Water meter Install Groan.

Soldato
Yer it all adds up
Only 3 beds
2 bathrooms for now
And washing 3 x cars
2 x patio areas

what about filling up
Them paddling pools in the summer? That’ll all add up. !

then on top
I have a pond, greenhouse and lots of fruit and veg that gets grown
It will def be more i cant see it costing less.

Yeah i just don't understand how you use so much to cost you that much?

We bath our little girl every day and both have showers, dishwasher is on almost daily, same for the washing machine and i have a big garden with loads of fruit and veg, fill up paddling pools a couple of times during the summer. The only thing different is i don't bother to ever wash my cars :p And after all that we're paying hardly anything for water, as i said i think its £17 a month on a meter..

Soldato
But if you’re arguing against a meter, then surely you’re trying to avoid paying for exactly what you use?
I'm not arguing, I can have a meter and then you have 2 years to decide if you want stay on a meter or not, even specifically said if it's not cheaper then you can go back on the standard rate. What idiot chooses to pay more than they need to for anything.

Soldato
OP
Lol loving the suggestions here so far

i really so wonder if itl cost more or not though
Hard to tell at this stage though

Associate
try living in devon/Cornwall, found the cost over twice the price due to having to pay to keep beaches clean.

imo water is one thing that should be nationalised.

Associate
Lol loving the suggestions here so far

i really so wonder if itl cost more or not though
Hard to tell at this stage though

Why don't you calculated it out? Take a typical period and measure your base usage. Then test and estimate garden use? For instance what you've said:

Using rates from my last bill at £3.95 a m3 (includes all the waste water figures for severn trent, note that this also includes the 10% or so cost for my surface water drainage, if your gutters don't go into the drains then you'll pay less)

Dishwasher typically is 10L a wash @ 8 times per week - 346L a month, or £1.36 a month
Washing machine 50L a wash @ 3 times per week - 650L a month, or £2.57 a month
Pressure washing @ 450L per hour use - 2 hours to wash each patio twice a year - 300L a month - £1.19 a month
Car washing @ 450L per hour - assumed use is 20 minutes per car for 3 cars every week - 1950L a month - £7.70 a month

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Water is so cheap. I wash two cars weekly, fill a hot tub regularly, listen to my wife shower endlessly, flush the loo 3-4 times due to our poor drainage system and leave the hose running for hours on the garden - have even forgotten about it and flooded next doors garden overnight. Plus daily dishwasher and washing machine. £30 a month.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Damn it is really that cheap?!

And looks like it depends where u r in the country never knew that
unlike gas and electric

Don
Family of 4 here with showers daily for all of us, watering garden in the summer, dish washer and washing machine on daily - £29 / month metered for our water.

Soldato
Water is so cheap. I wash two cars weekly, fill a hot tub regularly, listen to my wife shower endlessly, flush the loo 3-4 times due to our poor drainage system and leave the hose running for hours on the garden - have even forgotten about it and flooded next doors garden overnight. Plus daily dishwasher and washing machine. £30 a month.

Family of 4 here with showers daily for all of us, watering garden in the summer, dish washer and washing machine on daily - £29 / month metered for our water.

How many m3 a month do you use?
I'm average 11m3 and paying about £45pm.
I only ever laid less for water on a meter when we didn't have kids. I don't know how we can use less and make it cheaper on a meter.

Soldato
We do pay, just a different tariff. Screams of sour grapes when people moan about standard rate Vs meters.
But it's a fair point. All services should be nationalised and people should simply pay for what they use. It's the same with council tax, it's hardly fair that just because someone's house was worth XX more in 1990, then the rateable value was higher - and hence you pay much more for your water. My water in London should cost the same as everyone else's in the country, everyone having to run a meter goes in the right direction towards that at least.

Soldato
I dont think anyone should be allowed to be on water rates now unless they physically cant have a meter

Use loads for watering the garden, pay for it IMO

Yeah absolutely this, it's about time they move everyone to a pay for what you use model. I know a good few people who are on rates who just waste water because the usage doesn't cost them anything extra.

Soldato
If you're baulking at paying for the water you use remember you're also paying again for the water that runs away in to the sewer system, ie. poop and roof waste water - that is unless you have a septic tank. I get a considerable discount for not being connected to the sewers but of course have to pay to have the tank emptied. For those that have a septic tank check your water bill to make sure you're not paying for waste water!

Soldato
I was thinking about this the other day and was wandering if compulsory water meter might not be a useful tool to reduce the nations energy consumption. If everyone started taking shorter showers and shallower baths and maybe even heaven forbid showering less often in general think of the overall energy saving that could be realised.

Pet Northerner
Don
But it's a fair point. All services should be nationalised and people should simply pay for what they use. It's the same with council tax, it's hardly fair that just because someone's house was worth XX more in 1990, then the rateable value was higher - and hence you pay much more for your water. My water in London should cost the same as everyone else's in the country, everyone having to run a meter goes in the right direction towards that at least.

It's not really that simple though is it? A lot of cost in London comes from maintaining the infrastructure. It costs FAR more to dig up a road in London than say newcastle.

But this is why your salary in London is so much higher comparatively than up here.

Back
Top Bottom