Water Pressure

Soldato
Well it's not illegal to use if there is a break between the mains and the pump.

Mains>Storage>Pump

That and, it is just a pump. It is not down to them how somebody uses it.

How do sport shops get away with selling baseball bats? How do poundland get away with selling kitchen knives, etc.

Associate
Its not illegal to pump mains water totally that advice is pure rubbish, only above the 12l.

Back to basics, are you sure your stopcock is working correctly? Is it fully open? Has the builder added a secondary stop ****? Are there 15mm iso valves on the mains inline flow?

Soldato
You must have a restriction in your internal pipe work going by your diagram, you are going to need to find this first before considering adding a pumped tank as you could end up with the same problem.

What showers do you have ? If they are non waterfall showers they will only need around 1bar and 10-12l/min to run well so I doubt you will need 50l/min + to run four. I can run three simultaneously with just over 30l/min and 4 bar from the mains (cylinder with pressure reducing valve to 3 bar).

A megaflow cylinder will have a pressure reducing valve on it so you are unlikely to get the pressure required to run four showers simultaneously even if you manage to increase your waterflow

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Its not illegal to pump mains water totally that advice is pure rubbish, only above the 12l.

Back to basics, are you sure your stopcock is working correctly? Is it fully open? Has the builder added a secondary stop ****? Are there 15mm iso valves on the mains inline flow?

Stopcock is fully open, and there are no 15mm iso valves on the mains... as far as I can tell anyway. I will post up pictures on Wednesday (not at the property until then).

You must have a restriction in your internal pipe work going by your diagram, you are going to need to find this first before considering adding a pumped tank as you could end up with the same problem.

What showers do you have ? If they are non waterfall showers they will only need around 1bar and 10-12l/min to run well so I doubt you will need 50l/min + to run four. I can run three simultaneously with just over 30l/min and 4 bar from the mains (cylinder with pressure reducing valve to 3 bar).

A megaflow cylinder will have a pressure reducing valve on it so you are unlikely to get the pressure required to run four showers simultaneously even if you manage to increase your waterflow

All 4 showers are waterfall ones with handheld attachments. On average we may have two people showering at the same time whilst someone has a tap on somewhere... at the moment we can only have one outlet open.

Soldato
OP
G3 certified plumber came by yesterday and he couldn't find anything wrong. 18l/min @ 2 bar coming through just past the stop ****, water softener and up to the taps.

Each tap is letting put 8l/min which is about normal. However as soon as you turn a second tap on, it drops to 4l/min out of each tap.

The plumber and other guys are discussing the issue here:
Plumbers Forum - Low Flow/Pressure Thread

Soldato
OP
Just wondering whether you ever resolved the above problem as we seem to be having exactly the same issue now....

Unfortunately not. We've had numerous plumbers check it out and they couldn't work out what was wrong. The next step would require opening up walls and floors to look at the piping, which we never bothered to get done.

Has yours been fine previously?

Back
Top Bottom