Waterblock for gainward GTX 680?

Associate
Hi all, does anyone know if the GTX 680 on today only is compatible with waterblocks? It looks reference at first glance but it has 8pin + 6 pin power connectors which is not reference. Gainwards website doesn't give much extra info and it is not listed on the EK cooling configurator.

Thanks in advance

Associate
OP
I I have the phantom 680's with the same power sockets and they are reference. I fitted new style xspc raystorm water blocks to mine no problems.

Interesting. So basically the pcb has been modified to take an 8pin + 6pin instead of 2 x 6 pin connectors but the chips etc are in the same place so the waterblocks work?

Edit: actually on further thought, this is using the reference heatsink. Surely if the board wasn't basically reference then the reference sink wouldnt work?

Last edited:
Soldato
Reference 680's come with two power socket variants, one with stacked connectors and one side by side, look on a stacked pcb you'll see the empty socket pins for the alternate layout.

Side by side is usually 8+6 pin while stacked is usually 6+6 pin.

Waterblocks should fit on either, I had an ek block on a 680 pcb 670 with the side by side lay out.

Associate
OP
Thanks for all of the input guys. I have taken the risk and ordered one. I am hoping these use the same PCB as the phantoms and I will be OK.

Associate
Good luck, but pretty sure it'll fit no problems anyway. Take a pic of your PCB when it's apart and we'll compare it to mine for reference to see if there are many differences.

Back
Top Bottom