Waterblock for rx 480 ?

Associate
Hello, I have a 5-year old XFX RX 480, which has worked great for me so far. Now I would like to water cool it, to get a bit better temperatures(and performance) and get rid of the fan noise. My plan was to build a full CPU - GPU water cooling loop, and later when the GPU prices normalize to upgrade the GPU only and keep the loop.
I couldn't find anywhere to buy a rx 480 water block. It seems to be discontinued. Can you help me find somewhere? Also is this a good idea? I'm new to water cooling.

Soldato
Honestly don't bother, it's not worth the cost or hassle for what is now a pretty low range end card. Wont find any new waterblocks.

If your temps are that bad, you could whack a Morpheus cooler on it, but again diminishing returns but will be quieter. Not sure if they're compatible with the RX 480s though!

If you want to go custom loop i'd personally just do a cpu only loop and then when you get a new card get a block for it then plumb that in. Note though that generally only the higher end cards will get waterblocks released, or if it's a mid range model, the money you spend on a block etc, you could then could probably have bought the better/higher spec card which would obviously outperform it.

Last edited:
Associate
Hello, I have a 5-year old XFX RX 480, which has worked great for me so far. Now I would like to water cool it, to get a bit better temperatures(and performance) and get rid of the fan noise. My plan was to build a full CPU - GPU water cooling loop, and later when the GPU prices normalize to upgrade the GPU only and keep the loop.
I couldn't find anywhere to buy a rx 480 water block. It seems to be discontinued. Can you help me find somewhere? Also is this a good idea? I'm new to water cooling.

I have this exact use case. It depends on exactly what model of RX480 you have as the layout of the board is different between models.

As mentioned by @Defy Belief, the cost of full-cover blocks is quite a bit given the performance of the card, although in today's market maybe it's more worthwhile, especially if you already have a custom loop. Bykski does custom blocks for many RX480 card variants.

What I started with was just a universal GPU block, however I found that the VRMs were not cool enough and the card throttled after gaming for a few hours. I fixed this by jury-rigging a mosophet watercooling block to the heatspreader across the front of the board which, whilst it works well for me, I wouldn't really recommend as a solution.

Happy to share pics or discuss more if you go down this path.

Soldato
rx480s are selling for about £280 on the bay by the looks :cry: you'd be insane to not just put up with it, sign up for telegram alerts for a 3060ti fe then sell up the 480 when you get one, the cost of about £80 between the two (Obviously do have fees) is what you'd probably end up paying to import a waterblock. Wouldn't even be close between a 3060ti and 480.

Back
Top Bottom