watercool an R7 240 4GB card for HWBOT

Associate
I've been overclocking this card with an arctic accelero turbo II cooler and it's been doing well up to a point. As it only gets power through the PCI slot I'm limited in the amount I can throw at it with a modded bios. The memory is also at its max frequency. This has stalled my attempts to get the firestrike record on HWBOT (first with firestrike ultra at an amazing 0.9fps on the combined test LMFAO) . The arctic cooler is silent for normal day to day on most low powered cards (currently on an RX 460 4GB in the system).

can only get down to about 30c on the GPU at full fan speed when its cold so need something more. I can use this on my other cards for HWBOT as well. The idea is to submerge the rad in an ice bucket.

magicool 450 pump (cheap - will get a decent pump when I put the stuff in a proper loop)
Magicool 240x45mm rad
freezemod water block - has the important 43mm spacing)
arctic P12 fans that I've taken on the system just to test it.

waiting on some bits and bobs coming today before I can properly build it.

p5pb16880490.jpg

p5pb16880491.jpg

p5pb16880488.jpg

p5pb16880489.jpg

Associate
OP
can only get 75w through the PCIe slot . With the memory taking 1.5v I'm limited in the amount of volts I can throw at the GPU before power limit of the PCIe slot is reached.

Soldato
That **** is too extreme for me lol

at the moment in push pull it is 16c idle 23-24c running firestrike

p5pb16880728.jpg
Your room is below 16°?!

I daresay you should cool the card too. VRMs aren't under the block are they? Lower temperature leads to less power consumption due to improved resistance and also some silicon behaviour.

Associate
OP
Your room is below 16°?!

I daresay you should cool the card too. VRMs aren't under the block are they? Lower temperature leads to less power consumption due to improved resistance and also some silicon behaviour.

Had window open and temp outside was about 8-9. Vrms don’t get hot as far as I can tell. I have heat sinks on top and bottom. Top get hotter hence the fan. Could try putting fan next to the heatsinks on bottom.

Back
Top Bottom