• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Watercooling asus strix 3090 - backplate opinions

Associate
Hi all, I'm very aware that literally nobody has an asus strix 3090 yet (still waiting on mine too) but I'm planning to watercool mine and haven't been able to find any info on backplate compatibility.

So, an opinion piece:

In your opinion, do you reckon it might be possible to use the original asus backplate, with an ekwb water block, or any other waterblock?

What if I were to do a little light "modding" to the backplate?

I've been looking at getting the ek waterblock because I don't really like the look of the alphacool one, and I know ek specifically say you need to order an ek backplate... but they're so ugly!

Soldato
Hi all, I'm very aware that literally nobody has an asus strix 3090 yet (still waiting on mine too) but I'm planning to watercool mine and haven't been able to find any info on backplate compatibility.

So, an opinion piece:

In your opinion, do you reckon it might be possible to use the original asus backplate, with an ekwb water block, or any other waterblock?

I've been looking at getting the ek waterblock because I don't really like the look of the alphacool one, and I know ek specifically say you need to order an ek backplate... but they're so ugly!

Gut feeling seeing teardown I do not believe so. on the Strix ASUS seems to use a brace which is much longer then the PCB. The Backplate and cooler seem to attach to the brace so are also longer then the PCB. I expect all three bits would need to go if you use a waterblock. Shame really as on the prior gen strix, you could keep the backplate on which I loved with the ROG eye still working which looked cool.

Teardown around 4 min mark

Of course would to see how it actually pans out, but I think stock backplate will not work.

Associate
Do you know your queue position mate?
So, an opinion piece:

Back
Top Bottom