Watercooling... Distilled or de-ionised??

Caporegime
I've just been down to the supermarket and all they had was de-ionized water and I thought it was what I needed, but I've just read that it will corrode the waterblocks?!? apparently distilled is what I need?

Soldato
Deionized water is water that is acidic from the H+ ions. The PH acidic and as a result attempts to correct this by pulling metal from the radiator (it will corrode the water blocks to get its ions back)

lots on google all say use distilled water

Soldato
The bad thing about the internet is that much of what is on it is less than 100% correct. Deionized water is near as darn it pH7 and it won't damage your radiator, which is made of copper usually.

Deionized and distilled are not the same thing, but distilled water is extremely difficult to get hold of and deionized is as good as you'll get on the high street.

Soldato
The battery top up water from Halfords is de-ionised water not distilled.

I'm using it in my loop with a silver kill coil in the res, and my water is crystal clear.

Plenty of other folks on this forum using DI water with a silver coil or Biocide as well...

Caporegime
OP
So it's safe to use the de-ionized with only Fezer coolant (which says it protects from corrosion)?? do i need anything else cos I seem to be getting a surprise at every turn with this watercooling? :p

Soldato
Are you taking about feser base?
if so not worth it unless you have a secondhand mixed metal loop (aka scratched)
if you want to be paranoid - visit an audi showroom and get 50ml of G11 or G12 for free if you ask very, very nicely (have your own bottle with you)

Feser one, feser aqua and feser VSC should not be diluted with water.

de-ionised plus either some biocide or pure silver (both kill plantlife and bacteria) is what most of us use.

distilled is easy to get if you have a dehumidifier or condencing tumble drier - BUT clean the res first (they usually have a bit of plant life in them)
and then harvest the SECOND filling. Use the first filling to rinse out any ions/salts the tap water left behind when you washed.
(but the hassle may not be worth the £3 de-ionised costs)

you still need the silver or biocide even with distilled

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Are you taking about feser base?
if so not worth it unless you have a secondhand mixed metal loop (aka scratched)

I purchase a full kit brand new which came with 2 bottles of Feser One Cooling Fluid, the kit said it comes with everything needed (except for distilled/de-ionized water).

Should I not user the Feser then? what's the purpose of it if not?

Caporegime
OP
if you already have feser one - you might as well use it (it can be used straight from the bottles)

I currently have 2 litres of Feser One and 2.5 litres of De-ionized water, I thought the Fezer was just an additive for the de-ionized/distilled water, is it to be used instead of it then?

Soldato
additive usually come in 50-100ml bottles not 1 litre bottles.

Most loops are around a litre or just over if you have have a large res and a tripple rad.

Did the de-ionized come in the 'complete' kit? or did you buy that as an extra?

EDIT: just re-read OP so DeIon water was got as an extra.
Just keep it to fill the iron and car battery, wash windows etc

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Yeah the water was bought separately, I thought it was strange that I got sent 2 litres of the Fezer but the bottles are all in German so I didn't pay much attention to them.

The kit itself comes with 2 litres of Feser One but in the description it says "comes with everything you need except distilled/de-ionized water", so I presumed the Fezer was an additive and I needed water, otherwise why would it make a point of not coming with water?

I am so confused. :p

So I didn't need the water at all then?? I just fill up the loop with the Feser and bobs my uncle?

Last edited:
Soldato
So if i went home later a pulled the water tray out of my tumble drier then i would have distilled water?

yep - it might be dirty and full of plant life (if the tray isn't cleaned)
But you have your own distilled water supply (as do I)

Got the tip off from a 'live steam' modeler - they need distilled water to stop the micro bore tubes getting scalled up.

Last edited:
Associate
De-ironised water is fine for water cooling. I have been using it in my systems for years.
The suggestions for destilled water will be from Americans where distilled water is everywhere for them (supermarkets etc). I have yet to come across destilled water where I live in the UK, apparently pharmacies carry it but in really small quantities which would not be cost effective for filling water loops.
Edit: add some biocide or silver coils

Caporegime
OP
im about an hour away from filling stage and still confused and getting mixed messages, do i fill with 100% of Feser One or use the de-ionized water and buy additives? or a mixture of both?

Associate
The difference between de-ionised water and distilled is as follows.

De-ionised is very selectively filtered and treated to remove any metal ions dissolved in water (a surprising amount!) but any un-charged impurities are unaffected generally.

Distilled water is made by vigorously boiling water and then collecting the water vapor by means of a condenser. If done in a suitable environment you will have pure water, with nothing else in it.

Soldato
This feser one you have, UV dyed is it? Hope it isn't blue. The dye has a nasty habit of dropping out of the water and cloggin up your blocks. Whether this happens or not seems fairly random, though there have been enough instances of it to put me off any and all dyes or premixed fluids for life, *especially* blue. I still have 5 litres of feser one sitting in their original bottles next to my PC, from when I was setting up my water cooling, 3 greens and 2 blues. Make nice UV ornaments as they pick up the UV light form the case. I wouldn't let them anywhere near my loop though. Another interestung fact is that in the year they have been sizeable clumps of algae have grown in the green ones.

Back
Top Bottom