Watercooling expansion?

Soldato
So had my loop for 5 months now with only one XSPC EX360 radiator. Thinking of getting a 420 rad at the top and 140 at the back. Will this help with temps or am I wasting my time?

Associate
For someone to help you, they'd need to know what's in your loop and how you have it set up?

For instance I have this setup:

Pump/Res > 480 Rad > CPU Block > GPU 1 > GPU 2 > 240 Rad > 240 Rad

What kind of temps are you getting at the moment?

The thing about water cooling is there are a lot of variables involved, what fans your using, are they are in push/pull?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Hi

Have the EX360 in the roof with three Apache black's exhausting upwards. Pump/Res > GPU > CPU > RAD > Pump/Res.

Temperature wise I get 47c on my GPU while playing BF1 for a couple hours and CPU is around 70c 4770K 4.4ghz 1.2v. Room temp 22c.

Associate
Cpu runs hotter than gpu and I generally tend to put cpu before gpu in a loop to maximise cpu cooling. 70deg for 1.2vcore is pretty high imo.

You've also got pump/res after rad and before gpu. Pumps create heat so your layout isn't as efficient as it could be.

Think about changing it to pump/res-rad-cpu-gpu-pump/res.

Adding more rad surface area will help but as you don't have any temp issues with current setup I'd say you'd be wasting your money.

If you're looking to oc further though and add more volts then it would be beneficial.

Pump/res-140-cpu-420-gpu-pump/res.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the advice. Ran BF1 again and highest core is 72c rest in the 60's so not too bad. Will have a think about it. Be nice to get my 4770K to 4.6ghz.

Associate
Fit a water temperature sensor.

Then you will be able to see how much above ambient your water is, and how much gain you will get from more rads.

Why do you want lower temps?
Better overclock?
Less noise?
Or just fancy building something excessive :D

Associate
Thanks for the advice. Ran BF1 again and highest core is 72c rest in the 60's so not too bad. Will have a think about it. Be nice to get my 4770K to 4.6ghz.

Its cold outside.

Open a window turn your fans up to max and see if you can overclock more.

If you can it might be worth upgrading your cooling.

Soldato
Cpu runs hotter than gpu and I generally tend to put cpu before gpu in a loop to maximise cpu cooling. 70deg for 1.2vcore is pretty high imo.

You've also got pump/res after rad and before gpu. Pumps create heat so your layout isn't as efficient as it could be.

Think about changing it to pump/res-rad-cpu-gpu-pump/res.

Adding more rad surface area will help but as you don't have any temp issues with current setup I'd say you'd be wasting your money.

If you're looking to oc further though and add more volts then it would be beneficial.

Pump/res-140-cpu-420-gpu-pump/res.

No, loop order doesn't matter. This has been refuted many times over the years, temps always equalise in a loop in a relatively short period of time. Scientifically speaking the theory may suggest a minuscule difference, but it is so negligible that it makes no difference in real world terms.

Of all the things you can do to configure a loop, the order is going to have the least impact of anything, and in fact will have hardly any. Obviously pump needs to go below res, and the flow needs to be correct, but that's all that matters. Fan choice, fan speeds, rads, even coolant choice will all have a far bigger impact on temps than its order. I've seen people tear loops apart and change the order of everything, chasing better temps, and it always ends up the same or within a fraction of a degree (which is well within margin of error anyway).

Associate
Is there any way you could fit a rad to the front of your case? As an intake?

Having a rad cooled by colder air from outside the case should improve your temps?

Back
Top Bottom