Watercooling kits...

Soldato
Hey guys,

I am thinking of going watercooling, it would be my first attempt, I have been reading up on the subject and wondered what you guys thought about the below kit for like my "very first" attempt at watercooling?

Swiftech H20-220 Apex Ultra Watercooling Kit (Socket 462/478/LGA775/754/939/940) (WC-014-SW)

Alternatively if there is another better kit for around the same cash which is £170 please let me know...

Please note I would prefer to get a kit which contains everything as its my first real attempt at it...

All comments and suggestions would be most appreciated...

Thanks in advance..

P.S. BTW I have a lian li pc7+ if I purchased the above kit would it all fit into the case fine? alternatively if you do make any other suggests please take the size of my case into consideration...

Thank you very much :)

Man of Honour
That's the best kit you'll get without going custom build. It does not include chipset or graphics waterblocks though - only CPU.

Recommended :)

I don't have that case but mine is quite small. I fit the kit (Ultra+ version - with chipset and gfx) by putting the pump in my lower 3.5" bays and moved the hard drives into the5.25" bays with adapters. My rad hangs off the back.

Last edited:
Soldato
The Swiftech kit is excellent value for money. Its by far the best out of all the kits. The only way to get a better system would be to build a custom loop.

If you do go down the custom route then you would need to be spending around £200, performance would be above that of the switftech.

xirokx said:
what do you use for the chipset and gpu then? all help would be most appreciated :)

You buy these blocks seperatley and add them in to the loop.

Man of Honour
xirokx said:
what do you use for the chipset and gpu then? all help would be most appreciated :)

Either get custom blocks as mentioned above. Or buy the Ultra Plus version which includes chipset and graphics blocks (note: the bundled chipset block won't fit in an NF4 SLI system if both cards are in use).

Soldato
OP
is it necessary to apply a block to the gpu and the chipset?

I dont run SLI so I guess I would be alright with the Ultra Plus version

However as Im seeking bang for buck it may pay to try and increase my research to purchase the bits seperately so I gain better performance, that would be ideal...

Can anyone start me off keeping my budget of £170 in mind?

thanks in advance..

Man of Honour
Cpu TDX, STORM, AlPHACOOL
GPU MAZE 4
PUMP LAING DDC, OR D5
TUBE TYGON, MASTERKLEER, DANGER DEN CLEARFLEX/UV
RAD BIXII, THERMOCHILL PA, XSCP

a few varieties to get you started. can have a google on them to learn about them. prices varie in places.

i think Chipset cooling is not needed

Soldato
ichabod crane said:
Cpu TDX - no! :p, STORM, AlPHACOOL
GPU MAZE 4
PUMP LAING DDC, OR D5
RAD BIXII, THERMOCHILL PA, XSCP - no!

a few varieties to get you started. can have a google on them to learn about them. prices varie in places.

i think Chipset cooling is not needed
For £170, I would most certainly go custom. You can easily get a kit better for that.

Swiftech Storm G4 Rev. 2 or AquaXtreme MP-05 LE
Laing DDC Ultra + Alphacool Pro top
Thermochill or Swiftech MCR rad
Masterkleer (cheap and very good) or Tygon (excellent but very expensive).
Maze 4 GPU
Swiftech MCW30 (if after a chipset block).

Last edited:
Man of Honour
xirokx said:
is it necessary to apply a block to the gpu and the chipset?

I dont run SLI so I guess I would be alright with the Ultra Plus version

However as Im seeking bang for buck it may pay to try and increase my research to purchase the bits seperately so I gain better performance, that would be ideal...

Can anyone start me off keeping my budget of £170 in mind?

thanks in advance..

It's debatable whether it's worth putting the block on the chipset but it's probably worth getting one for the graphics.

Soldato
OP
Swiftech Storm G4 Rev. 2 or AquaXtreme MP-05 LE
Laing DDC Ultra + Alphacool Pro top
Thermochill or Swiftech MCR rad
Masterkleer (cheap and very good) or Tygon (excellent but very expensive).
Maze 4 GPU
Swiftech MCW30 (if after a chipset block).

Is that everything? inc chipset and gpu block?
how much performance (guessitmately) would i see over the Swiftech H20-220 Apex Ultra Watercooling Kit

Cpu TDX, STORM, AlPHACOOL
GPU MAZE 4
PUMP LAING DDC, OR D5
RAD BIXII, THERMOCHILL PA, XSCP

Is that everything? inc chipset and gpu block?
how much performance (guessitmately) would i see over the Swiftech H20-220 Apex Ultra Watercooling Kit

So out of these two which one is bang for buck and would provide better performance? as you can see specs are in my sig

really appreciate the help and you providing info based on your extensive experience

cheers!!

Soldato
Mine was everything bar the hose clamps/water/additives - £10 ish.

I'd really suggest going custom. The Swiftech Apex kit is by no means a bad kit - it is THE best *kit* available but you can get better - only really the pump and the CPU block let the kit down and even then it's more the block than the pump as the D5 is a very good pump - only the DDC ultra is far superior than all other pumps (for only £10 more) as it offers almost double the pressure.

Man of Honour
like stated above all that was missing is the minor things clamps water and additives (these stop algae growing)

in my pc i curretnly have a Danger Den TDX Cpu block, NV78 (full cover) Gpu block, BIXII radiator, danger den UV tubing (as flexible as Tygon), laing DDC with Plexi top, and a Bay reservoir.

oh yes you need a reservoir, you can have a all different kinds, ones in drive bays, one ontop of the Laing DDC, or a tube shaped one. if your going custom u should check out watercooling gallerys get some ideas of how the loops look and work

Back
Top Bottom