Watercooling with no rad and massive res

Soldato
Tefal - you could simply have some SR1 rads running 600rpm fans as that's silent and relatively cheap.

Let's take 480SLI with a 3930K as an example, a 480 SR1 with slow fans would be silent and enough to cool that, another passive 120mm added somewhere and you're definitely good to go. Passive is good, but you can achieve similar results with thick rads with low FPI.

Don
It depends, if you can tolerate the noise when gaming (say you use headphones) then a rad with quiet fans on variable speed is acceptable, as you can just undervolt them to 2/300rpm when they are effectively silent - certainly as quiet as a dampened pump when idle. But I found that underload temps just got too hot with a conventional radiator and quiet fans turned down, so you either had to turn the fans up, or lower your CPU/GPU speed.

But I was the same as you, always looking to get rid of anything that made obtrusive noise (SSDs are a god send in this respect).

At the moment, I've got a D5 running on setting 1, and 2 low speed noiseblocker fans running at 3V in my PC and the most obtrusive noise is the electrical buzz I get from my monitor. Only other mechanical device is my optical drive.

2011project21.jpg

Associate
Niiiccceee. I used to have 2 external 240 rads on my old pc. Good but a nightmare to move around.

It depends, if you can tolerate the noise when gaming (say you use headphones) then a rad with quiet fans on variable speed is acceptable, as you can just undervolt them to 2/300rpm when they are effectively silent - certainly as quiet as a dampened pump when idle. But I found that underload temps just got too hot with a conventional radiator and quiet fans turned down, so you either had to turn the fans up, or lower your CPU/GPU speed.

But I was the same as you, always looking to get rid of anything that made obtrusive noise (SSDs are a god send in this respect).

At the moment, I've got a D5 running on setting 1, and 2 low speed noiseblocker fans running at 3V in my PC and the most obtrusive noise is the electrical buzz I get from my monitor. Only other mechanical device is my optical drive.

2011project21.jpg

Associate
I see your logic here and see how technicaly it could probably work as the watr would never enter the system again so once its heated up thats the last time its in th system. I guess you could ask the same question about a res is the rad could hold enough water to fuel the system

Associate
OFC it will work the higher the volume the better the cooling the only reason we need rads is because we have small volume systems the water itself in higher volume will act as its own heat exchanger to the atmosphere a rad and fans just increase the surface area of a small volume system or pass more air over a small surface so more water volume = more surface = less need for fans and rads

Back
Top Bottom