Watercooling with no rad and massive res

Associate
OP
What? You have actually tried putting a rad in a toilet cistern?

Do you not need to make sure the toilet is flushed every hour or so?

Associate
A 2,500 litre oil tank - generally used for heating oil, off grid.

Is about £1,200. give or take 5%. Dimensions 2.3 x 1.5 x 1.6 m.

I am feeling radiators might just be a simpler solution! :rolleyes:

Associate
Yea i didn't read that much of it i just remember that thread popping up a while back and thought there might be something usefull in it.

Associate
Hey guys,

Has anyone tried anything like this?

Obviously if your res is big enough, say 10,000 litres, you will never need to worry about cooling the water as fresh stuff is always being used.

Has anyone experimented with this principle using a sensible sized res though? I was thinking around 30 litres.

I hope your not planning to plumb your WC into an aquarium :eek:

Associate
some guy in the states piped his watercooling into a large coil buried into his garden to dissipate heat and got pretty good temps

another guy used a large res 80l with a small chiller unit

and one crazy guy connected his wc to a central heating not sure what temps he got though

if your going to go the large scale res option make sure u got some sort of drainage if the res splits.

last thing u want to do is come home to a flood

Caporegime
i wonder if you could have a pond then just coil up a big load of hose in there that your water cooling loop runs though, so you're not pumping pond water but it is taking the heat.

Caporegime
you know those alphacool/some other brand makes them too,

: these

360670.jpg

how many of them would it take to cool a reasonable set up, also as they're aluminium how the hell do you actually use them without them destroying everything?

Don
I've got 22 of them, gives similar performance to a high end quad 120 with medium speed fans. Used it to cool high overclocked CPUs and SLI with no problems.

Just use corrosion inhibitor.

Caporegime
22 :eek: pricey, how much room does that take?

I was thinking that a nice case one of the new corsairs maybe would look sexy with a bank of those on one side, ideally the left but most cases have the mobo on the right :( with a window and all black nickel blocks + that aura perlescent silver coolant stuff (would be nicer if it was darker than the light silver it is , more like mercury/dark grey ) and either a koolance

rp452x2p0.jpg

ress with pumps so it's ncie and neat or a

xspcpassiveblack.jpg

vertically next to the mobo for looks but means the pumps would be messy.

expensive but I'd love a fully passive (might need to mod the psu/keep it with fans) pc after years of living with something that resembles a jumbo jet (8 80 mm case fans + a lot mroe on components) at full whack and no side panel:p

I suppose if it takes so many though a big 1080 rad on the case side + a set of quick disconnect ports coming out the back going to a load of those tube rads mounted on the wall so that if i ever need to move the pc quickly it's just a case of unplug wall rads and attach a little U loop between the ports and have fans on the 1080 running slowly so portable (if massively heavy) and still quite quiet :p

Stupidly expensive and unnecessary but could be beautiful + i'll hopefully have a bit more money to spend soon as I'm giving up some rather expensive habits soon :p

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom