Way Of The Hunter

Caporegime
Been keeping a eye on this for a long while and im currently been playing it for a week in early content creator access. its a really good game and i think it will be popular if you like these kind of open world hunting games.

trailer here.

release date is 16th of August.

from tomorrow all content creators can show in game footage from 4pm uk time.

Caporegime
OP
played it for just over a week now really good game. if you like deep gameplay hunting or open world exploring you should like this.

Soldato
I already have The Hunter: Call of the Wild and my biggest complain is that, as someone with only 8hrs played so in no way experienced, whilst I don't expect it to be "Call of Duty" with animals I found that after 8hrs of total playtime I'd shot maybe 3 things at most which was annoying but also I hadn't even seen many animals even they were far beyond my shooting range, which made it feel more like a hiking simulator than a hunting game.

My reviews for CotW was "Basically the game as I have found it is just me walking around for the past 2 hours, seeing nothing, do nothing, being bored, going to the "explore" points, seeing nothing, doing nothing, pressing E on tracks which go nowhere, seeing nothing, doing nothing, walking to the next point - SEEING A BEAR - seeing a bear run away, walking to it's tracks, pressing E, spending 15 minutes following the tracks, seeing nothing, doing nothing, walking around for another 30 minutes, getting more bored and frustrated - SEEING MOOSE AT 150M - SHOOTING AT THE MOOSE - missing because you can't zero your gun at a range first to figure out bullet drop - watching the moose run away, can't find the moose or any blood trails so I don't know if I hit the moose, walking around, seeing nothing, doing nothing, repeat until I want to uninstall the damn game."

and I'd worry that this might be similar, even if the trailer makes the game look "full of life".

Soldato
@ianh From what I've seen Way of the Hunter is more realistic so therefore worse for you if you haven't got to grips with the basics of hunting sims. Possibly your biggest mistake is not paying attention to wind direction, if the wind is behind you blowing your scent towards prey animals they will be alerted before you see them or get into a suitable shooting position. Ideally you want to be walking into the wind and keeping noise and visibility to a minimum. There are plenty of beginner guides that go through the basics so would be worth checking some out before you give up totally.

Soldato
This certainly looks decent, probably give it a punt.
I played the crap out of CotW and really enjoyed it back in the day. I still keep it installed and updated with latest reserves for days when I fancy something slower paced.
Is there any plan to expand beyond the two reserves/locations through updates or DLC. I get that these are huge maps, but I think i'm a bit spoiled by CotW's numerous and varied reserves with something to pretty much cover all flavours.

I already have The Hunter: Call of the Wild and my biggest complain is that, as someone with only 8hrs played so in no way experienced, whilst I don't expect it to be "Call of Duty" with animals I found that after 8hrs of total playtime I'd shot maybe 3 things at most which was annoying but also I hadn't even seen many animals even they were far beyond my shooting range, which made it feel more like a hiking simulator than a hunting game.

My reviews for CotW was "Basically the game as I have found it is just me walking around for the past 2 hours, seeing nothing, do nothing, being bored, going to the "explore" points, seeing nothing, doing nothing, pressing E on tracks which go nowhere, seeing nothing, doing nothing, walking to the next point - SEEING A BEAR - seeing a bear run away, walking to it's tracks, pressing E, spending 15 minutes following the tracks, seeing nothing, doing nothing, walking around for another 30 minutes, getting more bored and frustrated - SEEING MOOSE AT 150M - SHOOTING AT THE MOOSE - missing because you can't zero your gun at a range first to figure out bullet drop - watching the moose run away, can't find the moose or any blood trails so I don't know if I hit the moose, walking around, seeing nothing, doing nothing, repeat until I want to uninstall the damn game."

and I'd worry that this might be similar, even if the trailer makes the game look "full of life".
I found the complete opposite with CotW. Its been some time so the game may have changed/been updated a bit since. However, I felt that it was over populated, too easy to get a kill, and every game would be a bloody massacre, it gets a bit more difficult if you are looking for better quality specimens or trying to increase trophy score.

You can "zero" with a skill you unlock, I use that term loosely... You can pick from 3 preconfigured distances usually like 75m,150m,300m? or something of the like and on some maps there are ranges to practice and test the rifles, you can learn roughly what hold you require at certain distances, Have a look in the Hirschfelden reserve at a location called Rathenfeldt Schiessstand on an island on the east coast.

Last edited:
Soldato
@~>Dg<~ I've tried to put together a list of keybinds for the game I'd really appreciate it if you could you take a look and see if you can add anything that I'm missing. Hopefully it will be useful for others.

Way of the Hunter - Keybinds
ForwardsWShow / Hide ObjectivesO
BackwardsSHunter SenseQ
LeftAUse / InteractE
RightDPlace MarkerX
JumpSpacePlace Tracking MarkerHold X
Run / Increase SpeedLeft ShiftMain MenuTab
Decrease SpeedCtrl
Toggle Stand / CrouchCReloadR
ProneHold CZero Scope UpUp Arrow
AutorunFZero Scope DownDown Arrow
Hold Breath (Scope)Left Shift
HeadlampH
Inventory Slot 1
1​
Inventory Slot 2
2​
Inventory Slot 3
3​
Inventory Slot 4
4​
Inventory Slot 5
5​
Inventory Slot 6
6​
Inventory Slot 7
7​
Inventory Slot 8
8​
Inventory Slot 9
9​

Caporegime
OP

played call of the wild before it released its actually the easier hunting game. you just have to learn to play it. there are many guides and once you know what you doing its pretty easy compared to theHunter classic. which is very realistic. way of the hunter is more like thehunter classic very realistic pretty hard for even me whos been playing hunting games literally daily for 15 years.

Associate
So after 40+hours i can confirm this is the new best hunting sim.
Call of the wild gave me many hundreds of hours but im finding it hard to go back to its simplicity after WOTH, its a still a gem of a game but just more of a game than a sim , this is where WOTH shines.
Realism shooters are up the very top of my most played genre and WOTH gives me that realism i enjoy but in a hunting game.
The way the animals behave and react is so life like.
The animations have to be seen to be believed.
Gunplay is also excellent with very believable ballistics.
Graphics are top tier also, wind effects on the trees and grass is industry leading just superbly immersive.
The whole animal ageing and herd management system is great.

Its not all positives though, we need a FOV slider and Keybind options asap , they say its their main priority too but they cannot come quick enough.
Also its lacking a bit in the sounds department with environmental sounds in particular, it needs more variation and more nature sounds in particular to add to the immersion.
A few of the weapons sounds should also have a bit more beef to them.

Overall a really great realistic take on hunting out in a vast open world.

Back
Top Bottom