WC: A leak and some strange monitor behavior...

Associate
Hi. I just set up a new pump in my case, but it leaks around the outlet adapter. I basically need some sealant - Anyone know which type to get? Silicon PVT stuff? :( Also, do I have to drain it completely in order to seal it properly?

Also, the picture on my monitor has started kind of vibrating - I guess this is from the pump (eheim 1048). Should I just put my case on the floor?

Plz help ASAP or my case will fill up with water and I will blame you all :p

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Well I was out all night and expected to get a little help from at least one person. Maybe you just gotta wait I don't know, but I've seen loads of other threads answered and not mine, and, call me selfish, but I kinda need the help here. I rely on my PC for my work...
Anyway, back to the problem. It's not the vibration at all, otherwise I would feel it and the pump is on a padded mat. I'm pretty sure its the magnet anyway. The main problem is the leak, which is actually around the contact between the pump and the adapter (barb), the hose is fine. I know I need sealant, but I've never used it before so some advice/tips would be welcome.

I'm not after "hundreds of advice bearing followers" just a little help :(

Associate
OP
Yea that's what I thought. I hate to have to drain it all over again, it's a lot of hassle. But then I expect a better seal will be achieved so maybe it's worth it. I googled something like that as well, but I found something that warned me about sealants based on Acetic Acid, which is very bad for electronic circuits (even the vapour apparently). So I will be very careful and probably remove the pump completely first...

Associate
OP
I'm not made of money I just bought this pump as well!

I will put some rubber solution from puncture repair kits on the thread and around the join see if that works. The sealants at the shop i went to had only acetic acid silicon-based ones, and some non acetic acid sealants which werent silicon. :S

Associate
OP
Tape? How does that work. The place where it leaks isn't very even....

I'm using Blu-Tack at the moment lol. It helps but doesn't seal it completely. I saw some Araldite All-Purpose Putty in wilkies that looked good. Waterproof and f'ing strong no doubt. I don't care if its permanent, the adapter is always gonna be in there..

Associate
OP
OK thanks, I will first find some thread sealing compound because it's leaking around the thread and not the barb. Then I'll hunt down some PTFE tape see if that helps. Cheers :)

Associate
OP
yeye thanks for the info Marci, exactly what I will do (apart from shielding the pump...I will move it as far away from my monitor as possible, another 30cm should do it, theres only a little bit if pulse atm.

I bought some PTFE tape today I was so pleased when the shop said they had some =D And I won't have to empty the system because it's closed, right? no air can get in therefore I only have to worry about the water in the pump...

And yer feriso I'll be keepin the radiator and cpu block, maybe the reservoir if I can stop it making so much trickling noise, it's like a urinal near my ear at the mo lol

Associate
OP
Already done it and it worked a treat :)

I drained some of the water (until it stopped flowing out) and the took out the barb wrapped it in tape and did it up again. Then I also replaced one of the hoses with a 10mm one, looks awesome now, I just need to find 6mm-8mm ID pass-through screw-in barbs...which seemingly don't exist...

Associate
OP
oo nice, Hecklers r smooth =)

I just need those parts for the reservoir because it doesn't use barbs :( hose clips then straight through 6mm screwins. The rest of it will stay ;) Until I sell my old comp and have more cash!

Back
Top Bottom