WC: A leak and some strange monitor behavior...

Associate
Hi. I just set up a new pump in my case, but it leaks around the outlet adapter. I basically need some sealant - Anyone know which type to get? Silicon PVT stuff? :( Also, do I have to drain it completely in order to seal it properly?

Also, the picture on my monitor has started kind of vibrating - I guess this is from the pump (eheim 1048). Should I just put my case on the floor?

Plz help ASAP or my case will fill up with water and I will blame you all :p

Last edited:
Associate
flipside said:
OK thanks i guess you are not experts on this.

and sarky comments like that will get you hundreds of advice bearing followers...

most likely the monitor is vibrating due to interference caused by the pump motor, move the pump in the case, or do some form of sheilding in the case where the pump is.. or as you suggest put the case on the floor

as for leaks, brass barbs? use jubeli clips silicone sealant sounds good but not being an expert and put my water cooling gear away a long time ago maybe google will be of use

Associate
OP
Well I was out all night and expected to get a little help from at least one person. Maybe you just gotta wait I don't know, but I've seen loads of other threads answered and not mine, and, call me selfish, but I kinda need the help here. I rely on my PC for my work...
Anyway, back to the problem. It's not the vibration at all, otherwise I would feel it and the pump is on a padded mat. I'm pretty sure its the magnet anyway. The main problem is the leak, which is actually around the contact between the pump and the adapter (barb), the hose is fine. I know I need sealant, but I've never used it before so some advice/tips would be welcome.

I'm not after "hundreds of advice bearing followers" just a little help :(

Man of Honour
I just googled "watercooling leak sealant" and it appears you'll be needing "Silicon sealant". I imagine you'll be able to find this in a hardware store. I would drain it while sealing to avoid contaminating your coolant.

Associate
OP
Yea that's what I thought. I hate to have to drain it all over again, it's a lot of hassle. But then I expect a better seal will be achieved so maybe it's worth it. I googled something like that as well, but I found something that warned me about sealants based on Acetic Acid, which is very bad for electronic circuits (even the vapour apparently). So I will be very careful and probably remove the pump completely first...

Associate
OP
I'm not made of money I just bought this pump as well!

I will put some rubber solution from puncture repair kits on the thread and around the join see if that works. The sealants at the shop i went to had only acetic acid silicon-based ones, and some non acetic acid sealants which werent silicon. :S

Associate
OP
Tape? How does that work. The place where it leaks isn't very even....

I'm using Blu-Tack at the moment lol. It helps but doesn't seal it completely. I saw some Araldite All-Purpose Putty in wilkies that looked good. Waterproof and f'ing strong no doubt. I don't care if its permanent, the adapter is always gonna be in there..

Associate
flipside said:
Tape? How does that work. The place where it leaks isn't very even....

PTFE tape is what plumbers use to wrap around the joins of pipes, as it has a rubber like texture therefore it is able to mould into the gaps that sometimes form- stopping leaks.

Associate
OP
OK thanks, I will first find some thread sealing compound because it's leaking around the thread and not the barb. Then I'll hunt down some PTFE tape see if that helps. Cheers :)

Associate
The 1048 inlet and outlet fittings should have rubber o-ring seals, negating the need for other sealants, however, if you find it to be leaking up the fittings' thread, then PTFE tape is all you need - 5 to 6 wraps around the threads, then screw it back in. Tis the standard tool for the job as employed by plumbers for decades. Any other sealant will invalidate the pumps' warranty.

Eheim 1048 pump is UNshielded so will cause CRT monitors to pulse with the motor. Either shield the pump manually (expensive to do it right) or move it away from the monitor.

Soldato
flipside said:
*eats breakfast*

lol jk, I am posting it today 1st class :)

Supurb [sic] - Seems to be one thing after another atm with your new pump- you know what - two months down the line you'll rip the whole lot out and stick another kit it(!) :eek: ;)

Back
Top Bottom