WC loop routing?

Soldato
OK, first off, am I doomed to fail if I try to cool a 4870x2 and Phenom II X6 1055T @ 3.8GHz using a 240mm and 120mm rad?

My plan was to go Res/Pump -> CPU -> 120mm -> 4870x2 - 240mm -> Res/Pump.

I figure(d) that the CPU shouldn't be getting that hot under load (Phenom II max temp ~60C?) so a 120mm rad should lower the water temp enough so that when it hits the 4870x2 it's cool enough to be effective. I was then hoping the 240mm rad would cool it enough before it went back to the Res/Pump and then onto the CPU again.

However due to the positioning of the rads (240mm at the top (pull), 120mm at the bottom (push), in a CM 690 II case), I'm wondering if there might be a better sequence that would also make the routing easier.

Thanks.

Man of Honour
The sequence doesn't really matter as long as you have the res before the pump. It's a common misconception that the water temp will differ at different parts of the loop but in fact it will be pretty much equal throughout.

Associate
should be fine have the same GFX Card my self water cooled and am usinf two 120mx240 rads with silent fans and can run it all day and the temps never get above 50c on both cpu and the gpu :) cpu I have is the intel Q6600 2.4 @ 3.2

Soldato
OP
The sequence doesn't really matter as long as you have the res before the pump. It's a common misconception that the water temp will differ at different parts of the loop but in fact it will be pretty much equal throughout.

Guess that sort of makes sense. Now that you mention it I think I've heard it mentioned before. It's a Res/Pump combo (I'm a WC noob, thought I'd go for something simple) so even I'd struggled to get that bit wrong!
Thanks for mentioning it, should make things easier when I try to work out the shortest loop. I take it shorter is better?

should be fine have the same GFX Card my self water cooled and am usinf two 120mx240 rads with silent fans and can run it all day and the temps never get above 50c on both cpu and the gpu :) cpu I have is the intel Q6600 2.4 @ 3.2

Thanks, that's a bit more reassuring, at least it looks like I'm in with a shot of it working OK.

Soldato
That loop should be fine and as the 1055T runs so cool anyway shouldn't have a problem with temps.

I used to worry about loop set up but as long as you go res before pump there are no rules as the temps around the loop settle down to a constant.

The most important thing is making sure the RADs push or pull cool air through them if possible i found the way the RADs/fans to be setup to have the most difference in watercooling temps (upto 10C with the same loop)

I always set up my loop to be as short as possible and try to make it look neat.

Associate
Thats the way I have always ran mine through all of my pc incarnations since my athlon xp.

Me too until I decided to put everything under water and routing became difficult. As the pump was at the bottom/front of the case it made sense to go GPU then swing up to the CPU then hit chipset and VRM's. It really doesn't seem to make a difference from everything I've heard and now I agree, the water cycles through the system so quick. There's maybe 1c difference between water temp on one side of the loop to the other.

Soldato
I gave up on northbridge cooling (after Nforce 2 chipsets) especially after the mass use of heatpipes and I dont think they make a vrm cooler for the asus m4a79 deluxe.

Associate
Res before pump is the only real 'rule' although having the CPU soon after the pump is a good idea as they are usually a highly restrictive part that needs all the pressure it can get.

Soldato
I have:
Res - pump - 360 rad - cpu - 120 rad - GPU - GPU 2 - res

As previously said though, it's whatever it easiest to route.
As long as the pump pulls directly from the res it doesnt make much difference.

Back
Top Bottom