WD 3TB Drive WD30EZRX not responding - very slow startup.

Soldato
WD Green Vintage 2011. I had noticed that my PC was sometimes very slow to start up and sometimes to shut down. Once or twice windows 10 hicupped and tried to do a startup repair.

I thought that this was a windows problem but by taking this HDD out I found the problem was resolved. What led me to this was the slow response of the drive whem loading files. This is a backup drive with spare things on it.

So I took it out - problem seems to be resolved. Put it in my other (problem free) PC and that wouldn't start up. So a drive issue. The drive is recognised in BIOS but seeme not to be capable of being read in the other PC.

I have ordered a caddy to see if I can get it to work from that but it looks "dead" or sick"

Any suggestions to kick it into life - other than hoping it responds in the Caddy and I can then CHKDSK?

Mel

Last edited:
Well I put bit in the freezer - then took it out!

The HD caddy has arrived and I put the errant 3TB drive in it and connected it to PC via a usb3 link. Took ages to connect during wich time "my computer" was inacessible. Eventually read the drive and "my PC" was available again. I am copying folder-by-folder to a new 4TB drive and its doing this very slowly BUT we are getting there - I think it's going to take a week to copy over 2.5TB!!!

Shall I try reformatting or running CHKDSK on the old (2011) 3TB drive once I have copied all of folders across? Any suggestions please - or is disk "knackered"?
Mel

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom