Web design as a hobby

Don't worry if you can't design for toffee. Most Web Designers are pretty crap designers anyhow.

Most 'Web Designers' that are actually 'Web Developers' can't design for toffee - yep. It's ridiculous to say most 'Web Designers' are pretty crap designers, it's just ignorant and silly.

Most places will function with a Designer that is a designer foremost perhaps with some basic HTML/CSS skills and then a Developer to do the rest.

You need to have a good knowledge of design to be able to design a website well, having the ability to code and create a website doesn't mean you are a good web 'designer'.

A solid foundation in design is needed, and I bet most 'Web Designers' out there that are any good have 'Graphic Design Degrees/Principles/Basis/Training/Self-Taught/Whatever.'

Most 'Web Designers' that are actually 'Web Developers' can't design for toffee - yep. It's ridiculous to say most 'Web Designers' are pretty crap designers, it's just ignorant and silly.

Most places will function with a Designer that is a designer foremost perhaps with some basic HTML/CSS skills and then a Developer to do the rest.

You need to have a good knowledge of design to be able to design a website well, having the ability to code and create a website doesn't mean you are a good web 'designer'.

A solid foundation in design is needed, and I bet most 'Web Designers' out there that are any good have 'Graphic Design Degrees/Principles/Basis/Training/Self-Taught/Whatever.'

I don't know whether web developers or designers are any worse than each other but one has the luxury of hiding behind a facade and the other is judged on that facade.

You can build a website very poorly that works fine and would be indistinguishable from a well built site (as long as it had all the functionality) whereas a designers work is there for all to see from the moment they hit the site.

I don't know many designers that I would say were that good at all. Their designs are formulaic and bland and generally not that special. That being said, if you get a good designer, they can produce things that are truly special. Programming is a science mixed with a bit of art whereas design is a much trickier beast in my opinion.

I can't design for toffee; the hardest part I find is having the patience and confidence to keep working on a design through all the stages when it looks **** and half finished. I just give up. I have a lot of respect for great designers but look at the vast majority of websites and they are not designed very well. Even ones from respectable agencies.

One thing that was unclear in your post is weather you want to get into web development OR web design. It sounds like you want to learn how to build websites not so much learn about interface and web design.

If it is web development (building) your interested in it seems there is sound advice given here. Just make sure you learn the right way (abiding to W3C standards) at the start, rather than learning it the wrong way first and having to re-learn the code later.

It's definitely the development aspect that I'm more interested right now; learning the code and the mechanics of building websites.

The actual design part will probably be my weakest area, but I'll be willing to learn once I solid foundation.

Update time:

I've now been learning about HTML/CSS for one week and this is what I've put together this afternoon. I realise it's really basic, but I'm quite impressed with how much I have learned in a week and I'm looking forward to getting stuck into more difficult stuff.

I'm still getting my head around how to make div's and containers do what I want them to and I'll probably start taking a better look at HTML5 soon.

Anyway, here's the link:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5522970/Web.png

Any initial thoughts/feedback appreciated.

Last edited:
Hey dude , how you getting on?

I think I'm about ready to start work proper on my website although I'm still trying to iron out some details. I'm not very good at the design aspect so I'm considering using a simple psd design and turning it into html/css. I'm still learning about html/css but I will probably start digging into javascript shortly.

How about you? I see you've added some new stuff to your site; do you have any more plans?

I think I'm about ready to start work proper on my website although I'm still trying to iron out some details. I'm not very good at the design aspect so I'm considering using a simple psd design and turning it into html/css. I'm still learning about html/css but I will probably start digging into javascript shortly.

How about you? I see you've added some new stuff to your site; do you have any more plans?

There are literally millions of free psds to slice up and start coding up. Check out smashingmagazine freebie section I believe you'll find some there.

Notepad++ as a basic tool, get Dreamweaver if you can (use the dual layout horizontal to see exactly what you're doing as you type (don't use the inbuilt generator crap).

Also resource-wise if you want to keep up on CSS3 styling, check out css3generator.com it contains all of the gradients, borders and stuff like that!

Thats great mate. Yeah still learning and hopefully will be getting rid of the holding site soon. Though it's put me in good sted as since becoming an amzon affiliate I've had a couple of click throughs generating a couple of quid. Also been offered something awesome to review, and will be dual posting it here once it comes and I've had chance to review it.

I've started using Sublime Text 2 (beta) and it put's notepad++ to shame. I can't recommend it enough.

Shall take a look at this, cheers mate.

But a licence for Sublime 2 is $59 and notepad++ is free, is it really that good, i doubt it's worth paying for over n++ for someone starting out.

It has an untimed evaluation period but to be honest, I'd happily pay the £40 considering how much time can be saved.

No nag screens!

Personally if there is something that will save me time and hassle then I don't mind paying for it. But you are right it doesn't do much that Notepad++ doesn't do, just in a different way.

Code/text editors are a personal choice though so each to their own.

Last edited:
What I have found nice about using the code editor in MS Expression Web is that when you type an element say <p> it automatically adds the close </p> to it so when you type it fills inbetween

What I have found nice about using the code editor in MS Expression Web is that when you type an element say <p> it automatically adds the close </p> to it so when you type it fills inbetween
Notepad++ has the ability to do the same. I can't remember if its a plugin supplied with the installer or if you have to download it but it does have that ability.

Back
Top Bottom