Weber Smokey Mountain

Associate
Hi everyone, looking to invest in a WSM but can't decide on size (37/47/57cm). I would like to view them before committing but I couldn't find anyone locally (Bolton) who stocks them. Argos sell only the 37cm one which I feel is too small. Any ideas where I could view them locally?

Man of Honour
Size comes down to what you want to cook, but imo bigger is better. You would be annoyed if you cheaped out on the smaller one, only to try doing a brisket one day and not being able to fit it on the grate.
Although bigger ones will consume more fuel.

So have a good think of what, and how much you want to cook at the same time, this will decide what size you need. Don't forget to include the bbq parties if that's something you do, you need a lot of space to cook for many people.

See here for what fits on the grates and remember about height limits especially for things like beer can chicken, first sentence in image.
http://virtualweberbullet.com/wsmcapacity.html

2uzfo7r.jpg

okn8rm.jpg

http://www.smokedbbqsource.com/weber-smokey-mountain-buying-guide/

as for store, have you been on the Weber site and looked for your local stores.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
You'll be fine with the 47cm size but if you get into BBQing you'll regret not having the larger :p I wouldn't buy the 37cm personally.

You could also look into the ProQ range. The Frontier is a very good drum smoker for the money. Don't let yourself be distracted by people that are obsessed with one line or the other - ProQ and Weber products are both great.

Man of Honour
sorry for thread hijack

seriously considering this aldi special buy smoker offer https://www.aldi.co.uk/gardenline-smoker-bbq/p/076730131608600

cheap bbqs for smokers, nearly never work out from experience. Not without significant modification and hassle. I got a cheap bullet bbq the other year, think i used it 3 times before throwing in the bin, it was just utterly useless.
the other issue is i expect it'll be impossible to find reviews on youtube for it.

Associate
Definitely go for the 47cm, I have a 43cm Proq Frontier and have never had any issues with space, even cooked the Christmas turkey in it twice!
I do also have a Weber Mastertouch BBQ which is a 57cm kettle,
It's great to have the space for grilling as you can cook indirect on one side and direct on the other but for a smoker it seems a bit overkill!

Associate
OP
Definitely go for the 47cm, I have a 43cm Proq Frontier and have never had any issues with space, even cooked the Christmas turkey in it twice!
I do also have a Weber Mastertouch BBQ which is a 57cm kettle,
It's great to have the space for grilling as you can cook indirect on one side and direct on the other but for a smoker it seems a bit overkill!

Went with the 47 in the end. My head said 57 but my heart said 47.

Back
Top Bottom