Website CMS

Soldato
Do any of you use a CMS for a business website? I'm looking to put something simple together, with an interface like putting a few PowerPoint slides together.

A hosting solution that includes the facility would be ideal, but I wouldn't mind installing some software onto a separate hosted account if it was going to be a better solution.

I've looked at the free 14 day trial of Cloudsite at Namesco, but the templates are awful and there's not much control over content as far as I can see.

I'm prepared for links to Angelfire and GeoCities but hoping someone out there has used something decent lately and doesn't mind sharing.

Ta

Soldato
OP
I thought WordPress was just for blogs! I'll have a play with the free facility, and I assume I can install WordPress on a database like MySql? If so, that's fine I could handle that.

Cheers.

Soldato
It's not just for blogs anymore. Millions of sites run on WordPress now

And yes you

Also loads of themes and plugins to do almost anything with it

Associate
Using a plug in called visual composer for WordPress can essential give you building blocks and drag and drop functionality to the inbuilt WordPress page editor so it will be more akin to PowerPoint for you.

WordPress was once just a blogging platform but it has now developed into a fully fledged cms. It does require some seo work though. But again several plug in are available.

Soldato
OP
Using a plug in called visual composer for WordPress can essential give you building blocks and drag and drop functionality to the inbuilt WordPress page editor so it will be more akin to PowerPoint for you.

WordPress was once just a blogging platform but it has now developed into a fully fledged cms. It does require some seo work though. But again several plug in are available.

Is there anything free that has the general functionality of Visual Composer or comes close?

Associate
Sorry for the delay couldn't find the ones I used. Most used visual composer or themify. But after a little research the best I found was one called make. It is a theme foundry framework. Available https://thethemefoundry.com/wordpress-themes/make/

I honestly can't say how good it would be though without testing it more but it seems to do the job. The others I mentioned do cost money and with that you get a more premium product with more help and support. But by all means give that free one a try. It may be just the thing you need.

Associate
There are a few sites around. When I first started using Wordpress, I went with one.com just because it was cheap and offered me the 1SQL database I needed a the time.

All you do is download wordpress from their site, unzip the file to your website via FTP then enter the sql details and you are away.

You can get site templates if thats the way you want to go through Themeforest but I found the best free one is from http://newwpthemes.com/

Hope that helps

Dan

Back
Top Bottom