1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Website development portfolio

Discussion in 'HTML, Graphics & Programming' started by Cromulent, Dec 3, 2019 at 12:30 AM.

1. Cromulent

Mobster

I'm looking to build a portfolio so I can show off to clients but because I am primarily a backend developer it is a bit tricky to make flashy graphics and nice looking styles.

What would you do in this instance? Just show off some tech demos or something else?

2. mrbell1984

Capodecina

A template either get someone to customise one for you or download a free one.

3. Hades

Capodecina

Who are the clients? Are they actual end users or front end developers?

4. Cromulent

Mobster

Mainly businesses looking to hire a full time backend developer.

5. balanceballs

Gangster

As above get a template of some sort but link to and talk about your backend skills. Anyone who knows what they're hiring won't be bothered about the design as much as your experience.

6. mrbell1984

Capodecina

Or you don’t make a website you just show them live rather than a portfolio?

7. Cromulent

Mobster

That was what I originally meant by a portfolio. Sorry for any confusion. I'll get something set up in the next couple of weeks as I have some spare time at the moment.

8. mrbell1984

Capodecina

oh right so you haven't even designed any sites then that use your back end? (excuse the terminology) lol

9. Cromulent

Mobster

Yes I have but none of them are public code so I can't really show anything off. I built a blogging platform but tended to use Bootstrap for the frontend which is a bit of a cop out. I have one project planned which I want to use to set up a business but if it doesn't work out I'm just going to open source the whole thing and put it on my public GitLab.

I really want to refresh my knowledge of CSS since CSS Grid and CSS Flexbox are now fairly well supported. Basically I want to start again from scratch and see how it goes. I've learnt a lot from my previous projects so starting from scratch will result in a cleaner code base and will hopefully show off some of my skills a bit better.