Website Ideas

Associate
This may sound cheap and I dont know if its been asked before. But I really want to create a good website, a big project I can work and improove on and put my spare timeinto. I have been pondering my mind for the past week and I still cant think of a good idea that I could stick with :confused: . Maybe its best the idea should come from myself but im clearly not really getting anywhere :( .

The site would possible be something videogame related or community based with a Forum of some sort, so that I coul add to it and expand it, rather than have a simple web blog because I simply could expand onto it the way I could with a larger site, and that project isnt really large enough.

I can use php/mysql and have experience with Joomla,phpNuke,e107,phpBB I also have enough great templates for them to choke a horse and currently making my own (well trying to :p) I can also get my hands on Vbulliten/Vballanced CMS for it. (Im currently learning HTML but im a beginer) :p

If anyone has been or still is in my shoes and can point me in the right direction, or help me get some good inspiration, has a good idea to share, or perhaps wants to team up with me in making the site, I would me most greatfull and happy indeed! :)

Thx.

Associate
Im in the same position. Im setting up a "Gaming News Site" I toyed around with a CMS called Mkportal and it isnt really for adding news constantley same with most CMS's. If you after a free CMS, Mkportal with phpBB would be very good aslong as you take a look at the good themes. If your going to shell out for Vbulletin then I suggest spending the extra for this subdreamer i think its called it seems very good for a large community.

the troulbe these days with websites is that as it's so easy for anyone with internet to learn website building evry idea in the world has been done to death millions of times and it is very hard to make a unique idea. Obviously you have said about something video game related, this idea is probably one of the msot common in that most people who make websites like video games and is first thing they think of. If you wish to do a video game website then try and think of a unique selling point for yours as to why anyone would want to return to yours and not someone elses.

Anyways that said, i am interested in helping you with the layout for whatever uyou come up with. also getting used to php and mysql now so can help with cms if you'd like. drop me an email if you want, addy_020@ h o t mail. com

Associate
OP
Nice, i'll check MKportal out then, I also forgot to mention that I tried Subdreamer out with a Counterstrike clan I was in, used it for the website, it worked like a dream and had phpBB2 integrated into it perfectly.

But I cant help but think that Subdreamer CMS is a little limited for something any bigger than a gaming Clans website.

Associate
OP
addy_010 said:
the troulbe these days with websites is that as it's so easy for anyone with internet to learn website building evry idea in the world has been done to death millions of times and it is very hard to make a unique idea. Obviously you have said about something video game related, this idea is probably one of the msot common in that most people who make websites like video games and is first thing they think of. If you wish to do a video game website then try and think of a unique selling point for yours as to why anyone would want to return to yours and not someone elses.

Anyways that said, i am interested in helping you with the layout for whatever uyou come up with. also getting used to php and mysql now so can help with cms if you'd like. drop me an email if you want, addy_020@ h o t mail. com

double post --

Yeah I know exactly what you mean, thats kind of why I am experiencing this problem. I could easily give a good attempt at a game review/news site, but why would it compare to the likes of www.gamespot.com or IGN.

I think the best smallish gaming websites are the ones with the communites that actually care about the site and like the idea of it being small and close knit, they dont wish to join a large website like gamespot.

But getting that audience is the tricky part, I cant think of any ways yet, its doing my nut in :(

Thanks for your offer by the way, I will deffinetly contact you when I need help, (when I get the idea in my head that is :D )

wizard91 said:
But getting that audience is the tricky part, I cant think of any ways yet, its doing my nut in :(

i think the best way is to have friends online from forums etc and get them to check it out join, and they all get there friends to.

I have seen a group of websites where all they are are portfolios web design work and becuase there is a comments system they just post on each others sitse and textlinkads sees this and then someone pays to advertise on the site even though the audience is only friends of friends of friends.

Back
Top Bottom