'Weddingmoon' in the States - New York -> Vegas -> California

Soldato
You weren't wrong about SF hotels being expensive!

We were considering staying around SoMa, which I know is good for food but not so sure about night life.

Any recommendations?

If you planning on staying in SF its self and you have a car you are very restricted without deep pockets. Lombard Street is pretty much your only option, you should be able to walk places from there but the hotels are motels and not the Wynn.

The other option is to ditch the car on the way in and rely on public transport around the city. You'll get a nicer hotel and be closer to the action but they are more expensive. We spent 2.5 days in SF and to be honest we didn't use the car other than coming in from the north over the golden gate bridge and popping down to golden gate park. We may have gone to Target as well for some snacks.

You'll have to get to the airport at the end but I don't think that will be a problem. I would go with the later as it is at the end of your trip and you don't need the car in the city. You can hire bikes for not a lot if you want to go up to the golden gate bridge. Dealing with luggage can be a pain though.

One thing to take note of when you do your trip, it is a good idea once you get your car to go to Target or Walmart and get some supplies like bottled water and snacks if you want them and leave them in the boot. The in town convenience stores are really expensive for drinks ($3-$4 a bottle), even for bottled water, in some places Gatorade was cheaper than water (NY). When its 30C outside you really start getting through it. But in Walmart you can get 30 X 500ml bottles of water for $4 or $6-7 for branded. Every hotel room has a fridge to cool what you need for the day. Things like fresh fruit is really expensive, well actually all fresh low calorie food is also seriously pricey compared to a UK supermarket. Burger and fries is cheap though!!

Caporegime
OP
So we are jetting off Sunday

I'm going to have a few questions as the holiday progresses, but firstly

Airport to Manhattan

Taxi
Uber

Or any other suggestions? It'll be a Sunday evening so hopefully slightly quieter, even if it's the city that never sleeps

Soldato
Wife and I did this a not that long ago, yellow cab JFK to Manhattan is $70 including tolls and tip, just join the queue - we were really lucky as there was no queue (mostly due to immigration being slow).... Uber fares will be very random as its surge pricing - although can't see sunday night as busy. I didn't check uber out at the time as it was right in the middle of their big scandal and I didn't want to be giving them my money back then. I'd look again now as they seem to have changed a lot since.

As with any airport, tell anyone approaching you to go a have carnal relations with their mothers ... they are scammers. Didn't have that at JFK, but seen it in other airports.

Train will be a lot cheaper, but you're lugging cases yourself. Assume you want to treat yourselves as its a honeymoon.

EDIT: they take cards, but as with all cabs seem to prefer cash :)

Caporegime
OP
Oh there we as another question. My O2 business contract doesn't give me any data abroad really. Can I get a USA sim card at the airport before we get a taxi?

I was going to use it as a sat-nav as I have a dual SIM mobile.

Soldato
So we are jetting off Sunday

I'm going to have a few questions as the holiday progresses, but firstly

Airport to Manhattan

Taxi
Uber

Or any other suggestions? It'll be a Sunday evening so hopefully slightly quieter, even if it's the city that never sleeps

Neither, public transport is easy and quicker than a taxi. You have two options train or subway. Take the Airtrain to Jamaica Station and then either board the LILR train or the subway. Train is about $16 (quicker and better but goes to Penn Station), subway was less than $8 + $1 for an MTA card, goes everywhere. Easier, quicker and no tips needed. You then also have an MTA card for using the subway while you are there.

Just stick in google maps your hotel and JFK with the date and the rough time, hit public transport and it will tell you where to go and how often the trains are.

$70 each way for a taxi is mental.

You can get pre-paid sims out there normally. AT&T or T-Mobile is your best shot, they are more likely to have the correct frequencies your phone can connect to.

Caporegime
OP
Usually I would do it the cheapest way possible, but I checked the services when we arrive and a train would take 1 hour 20 mins with an 8 minute walk

Or a Uber is $40-75 and 'Lyft'? Is $25-50

As it's our wedding/honeymoon and we aren't slumming it I might just go for the taxi.

Caporegime
OP
Having a great time and now at the home stretch.

We are staying in the Marriott Marquis in SOMA, San Francisco and have 2 full days and a half day to fill

We are doing Alcatraz on Thursday evening, but what else do people recommend?

Go.

Soldato
Caporegime
I can recommend loads of place along Highway 1, but they are all about scenery, nature and are pretty wild. If you are getting married i vegas I'm not sure this would appeal.

I would skip NY and concentrate on just the west coast. Otherwise your holiday will be spent in airports and planes.

Caporegime
OP
We already got married and did all those bits

We fly back on Friday

SOMA isn't bad, but Tenderloin which is right nearby (and where that breakfast place appears to be) is probably the most run down area in the city.

Soldato
Having a great time and now at the home stretch.

We are staying in the Marriott Marquis in SOMA, San Francisco and have 2 full days and a half day to fill

We are doing Alcatraz on Thursday evening, but what else do people recommend?

Go.
The Anchor brewery tour was my favourite thing in San Fransisco. I also loved California Academy of Sciences, the live rainforest and planetarium were fantastic.

Back
Top Bottom