Weight loss advice please gents!

I didnt say do intense skipping, just always stretch first then try a few jumps. Actually scrap that, go swimming first, swimming is by far the best exercise for anyone. Whatever size you are.

My cousin went from 17 stone to about 15 stone in a year.

One other main things is dont drink alcohol (or dont drink as much) Peanut butter is unhealthy too. Eat some pistacios instead as a snack if you must have some nuts

Chap in the gym has lost over 6 stone in the last few months and all he does is an hour or so on the treadmill walking and then some light weights.

Cut down on the rubbish and do your cardio. Not as easy as it sounds obviously, but that's it.

your attitude is correct,you say you are looking forward to activity. that's the first big hurdle under-way, getting you motivated . your diet seems to be average not best, but not the worst, bigger people need more food to supply a body at rest. the b.m.r. start eating wholesome foods, i don't care how , get your auntie to make you some, but do not eat fast food or crap industrial foods like frozen pizzas and pies etc. also, fat is not your enemy, its a nutrient just as much as protein is. you need to get the right kind, from nuts, avocados etc. stay away from trans, sat fats. calculate your bmr , what calories your body needs doing nothing at all. maybe shave off 500 cals and burn off 500 cals too. 3 times a week. the key really is sensible eating and moderate exercise at first. this will work, i have done it. sorry i tried to paragraph this but posting from phone at mo'

your attitude is correct,you say you are looking forward to activity. that's the first big hurdle under-way, getting you motivated . your diet seems to be average not best, but not the worst, bigger people need more food to supply a body at rest. the b.m.r. start eating wholesome foods, i don't care how , get your auntie to make you some, but do not eat fast food or crap industrial foods like frozen pizzas and pies etc. also, fat is not your enemy, its a nutrient just as much as protein is. you need to get the right kind, from nuts, avocados etc. stay away from trans, sat fats. calculate your bmr , what calories your body needs doing nothing at all. maybe shave off 500 cals and burn off 500 cals too. 3 times a week. the key really is sensible eating and moderate exercise at first. this will work, i have done it. sorry i tried to paragraph this but posting from phone at mo'

Sounds good. Using various calculators for BMR seems to put me in the 2800-3000 calories range? This can't be right to be honest, I don't eat near that anyway let alone with exercise on top. I guess I need to pay more attention as to where those calories come from (ie carb/fat/protein). I do seem pretty stocked up on carbs in the grand scheme of things.

Using foodfocus.co.uk to help track my calories and I end up 1500 for the whole day :confused:. I would have thought that large a deficit would have me dropping weight anyway, let alone with a good hour or so of exercise on top?

Anyway, I digress. Induction at gym was good, only did a cardio induction as they like to split it up apparently. Weights induction next Monday.
I'm thinking of about 15-20 on the rower and the same on a bike, and doing a 'brisk' walk to the gym (its up a beast hill so should do he trick) plus 30-40 minute weights and see how things go.

Will report back post weight induction.

You seriously expect a 30 year old who has been very overweight their entire life to skip intensly as their cardio?

Luckily I'm 21, not 30. Dunno where that came from. Either way, I think I lack the coordination and grace for speedy skipping :p.

Chap in the gym has lost over 6 stone in the last few months and all he does is an hour or so on the treadmill walking and then some light weights.

Cut down on the rubbish and do your cardio. Not as easy as it sounds obviously, but that's it.

Thats crazy fast weight loss.

Absolutly nothing unhealthy about peanut butter as long as its not the sugar loaded crap

Goodo.

[tourettes guy]UPDATE![/tourettes guy]

OK guys just got back from my third sesh in das gymnasium (Fri/Mon/Weds thus far, will probably keep this pattern up) and heres what I've been doing.

gyme.jpg

Its not absolutely finalised, just roughly what I do when I'm there. I still need to get the weights bang on, particularly legs. Even after all the cardio plus the leg weights they feel pretty fresh. Generally order is rower/bike/weights/treadmill.

Things I'm thinking about re-assessing/changing.
Rower overall, need to up the resistance I think and try and up the speed a bit. Its generally my warm up but I vaguely enjoy it so wouldn't mind introducing more.
Leg weights. The lot could probably go up 5/10lbs.
Triceps/Biceps could maybe do with a bit more weight.
Changing weights reps to 3*8
In time introducing free weights.

Possibly (after 4 weeks or so) splitting the cardio out. IE

Mon Weights + Some cardio
Tue Cardio
Wed Weights + Some cardio
Thu Cardio
Fri Weights + Some cardio

The reason for this is the muscle fatigue is stopping me going everyday, rather than general tiredness. Ofcourse this may well change by the time I come to think about changing.

Also, protein! The vast majority of weight loss 'guides' 'tips' whatever tend to recommend anywhere from 0.8-1.5gm per lb of lean mass in protein. I'm not making this, even with chicken/turkey rolls (wholemeal now :p) and 2x chicken breasts + (wholemeal again) rice in the evenings. Should I introduce protein shakes post workout? The lass at the gym said it would be worthwhile.
So on that subject, recommended e-tailers/brands/offers? Don't really want to drop too much money on the stuff just yet I've already spent a lot on gym clothes etc. etc. So VALUE is where I'm looking! Bang for buck.

So yeah, comments/anything really?

Cheers team!

Hi Mate,

see if you can try and fit in some more good foods before looking at shakes, recently I've cut down on the shakes, having scrambled eggs (from the microwave!) and so on. In fact scrambled egg on wholemeal is awesome!

Just gotta remember that the shakes will be calories too, I think what you're saying about your diet change is quite good, stick with it and see how you go.

Dark shadow should be in here soon (I hope), and RimBlock, with some good tips, don't be disheartened by going to the gym 5 times a week, which is good, but not necessary. Doing weights workouts only 3 times a week, with space for recovery is pretty much the norm, so dont worry about that. Remember to sleep well, eat well, train hard, and you'll be progressing awesomely.

Hi Mate,

see if you can try and fit in some more good foods before looking at shakes, recently I've cut down on the shakes, having scrambled eggs (from the microwave!) and so on. In fact scrambled egg on wholemeal is awesome!

Just gotta remember that the shakes will be calories too, I think what you're saying about your diet change is quite good, stick with it and see how you go.

Dark shadow should be in here soon (I hope), and RimBlock, with some good tips, don't be disheartened by going to the gym 5 times a week, which is good, but not necessary. Doing weights workouts only 3 times a week, with space for recovery is pretty much the norm, so dont worry about that. Remember to sleep well, eat well, train hard, and you'll be progressing awesomely.

Sounds good. Scrambled egg on wholemeal is winner winner chicken dinner. I've only ever done scramble in the microwave with milk, how does it turn out without it as I never buy the stuff!

Will try and get to the gym again tonight but it closes early (2100) on fridays for some reason, so will be a tight squeeze.

After chatting with some mates locally I'm gonna look into protein shakes for post-gym. My calorie deficit seems huge anyway (even though its not far off what I've always eaten :confused:) so i've got room for shakes anyway, and I'm quite happy to let modern science give me a bit of a boost :p.

Chris.

OK guys, need some advice. Please.

Below is my daily food intake, ish.

foodqq.jpg

I'm not sure on weights for the chicken and bread mainly. The roll is a 6-7" wholemeal sub, the rolls are pretty nice and i'm lead to believe by the caterers they're baked daily. Anyway, weight on that badboy? I've just stuck with the default value on foodfocus.co.uk as I have no idea. Same with the amount of chicken in it, I'm just guesstimating at it being about 2/3 or a chicken breast.

I know not having a proper breakfast is bad, I'm just never hungry until lunch time. I've had a tip from a workmate to start having ~40g of oats for breakfast to get my metabolism going and last until lunch. Comments? Sounds good to me.

So yeah, would you say the values are about right? Next week I will dropping the Kit-Kat as often as I can and replace probably with grapes or an apple. Also having a smaller rice portion.

The total calories seem pretty low to me to be honest, so I'm not certain its all right.

Gym is pretty much the same still, though have upped the weights by 5lb across the board. Now doing my final of 3 sets with an extra 5lb for smaller muscles and 10lb for bigguns, really makes the last 8 reps a good challenge. Speed on bike is average of about 71rpm now aswell, so a smidge higher. Generally covering 8.5km on it.

Last edited:
Hi bud,
I'd remove the Alpen bar and replace with fruit or veg. Also, Basmati Rice actually has a significantly lower glycaemic index than wholemeal/brown.

As far as breakfast goes, start by having *something*. Even if it's a small glass of milk and 2 oatcakes with some low far cream cheese.

Ant :cool:

Back
Top Bottom