Weird 3700+

Permabanned
Hi,

Im currently using a 3700+ San Diego and I`ve had various programs say its got two cores, or two processors so Im thinking this is meant to be a dual core X2 processor? Is this meant to be like this? If it is can the second core be re-enabled?

weirdness.JPG

thanks
ghgh

Permabanned
OP
CPU-Z doesn't show it as a dual core with one disabled but at least it shows the stepping and other things, I was thinking it was a dual core with one disabled as it fails to overclock well. I can't even run 3dmark01 or SuperPI at 2700MHz - highest it'll benchmark at with any vcore upto 1.55v is 2670MHz. I think I'll leave a BIOS update for now as it runs fine how it is. 3dmark01 shows it as an unknown processor though.

cpu-z.JPG

thanks

Last edited:
Soldato
If your RAM will run at up to 230 then try this. Drop your HT to x3, drop your multi x10, up your volts (if you have decent cooling) and use a 333 divider.
This should allow you to crank up the HTT and let your mem run at a decent speed.
My 3700 is pretty crap but doing the above lets me run at 2.65 with my mem at approx 225ish.
Prob the best you will get

Soldato
Just so you know, the E6 "failed Toledo" cores, which you have, do perform badly on air cooling. However, they are absolute gems when overclocked at sub-zero temperatures (phase change).

Jon

Permabanned
GeForce said:
Just so you know, the E6 "failed Toledo" cores, which you have, do perform badly on air cooling. However, they are absolute gems when overclocked at sub-zero temperatures (phase change).

Jon

but they also have toledo in the cpuz shot

Permabanned
OP
Changed the the help, especially pegasus1

I lowered the memory to 166Mhz divider and overclocked to 2700MHz, managed to run super pi at that speed which I couldn't do before. Before it crapped out at above 2667 or something for light benchmarking....as soon as I loaded sof2 though it rebooted - probably as it reached 62c, must get better cooling or sort my artic freezer 64 out it cant be right being this hot with the aforementioned cooler, surely.

Is 62c the temperature that these chips can reach before crashing/rebooting? If thats the case I will reseat my heatsink and re aply some decent paste. I managed to get a better super pi 1mb time @ 2700 @ 10 multi than at 2667 1:1 ratio.

Last edited:
Soldato
ghgh said:
probably as it reached 62c, must get better cooling or sort my artic freezer 64 out it cant be right being this hot with the aforementioned cooler, surely.

Is 62c the temperature that these chips can reach before crashing/rebooting? If thats the case I will reseat my heatsink and re aply some decent paste. I managed to get a better super pi 1mb time @ 2700 @ 10 multi than at 2667 1:1 ratio.
That is very hot, i would reseat that HSF and have a close look at your case cooling, try running with the side panels off just to see if it makes a difference.
The faster Pi times are down to the memory running faster giving greater bandwidth, real world increases in performance may be minimal but this is an OCers forum so i spose the more you can squeeze out of you kit the better.

Back
Top Bottom