Weird bank account transaction

Permabanned
The only way that you will find out for absolute certain is to contact your bank - no-one on this, or any other forum, will be able to tell you with any guarantee. However, you might be able to logically say that it is a final Jobseekers payment. If you give us a bit more info about your signing-on details i.e. what day would you normally sign-on, what were you normally receiving per week, was it normally paid weekly, fortnightly, monthly? We could probably either eliminate it as a possibility or install it as prime suspect.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Right well the job center was the only money going into this account, i set up my student loan with another account, the details are as follows.

Signed on every 2nd thursday,

Got paid £101 the tuesday after i signed on. (every 2 weeks)

Was supposed to sign on Thursday the 3rd there, but handed in my letter saying i am signing off on wednesday the 2nd as i started uni on the thursday.

The man said it usually takes a week to process. :) And i got this money on the Friday.

Permabanned
Its defo the JSA.

£101 / 14 days = £7.21

13 days * £7.21 = £93.78

Close enough to the phantom £94, right?

It just seems that they were quick to process your payment.

You should have worked this one out for yourself though.

Man of Honour
With the job center the way they work - I think the first payment is actually for the week or month before that - so when you get to the end of the claim you will seem to be overpaid... but don't quote me on that...

When I signed off after a short period of unemployment they "overpaid" me £400 by my calculations (JSA and HB) ... do you think they were interested? no - they chased me up like anything for £13 they had overpaid me according to their computer and were distinctly uninterested in the fact they'd paid me £400 I didn't actually want from them... after 3 attempts to get them to see if they'd paid it by mistake I kept quiet.

Permabanned
after 3 attempts to get them to see if they'd paid it by mistake I kept quiet.

They'll almost certainly get it back through your tax coding next year, or sometime in the future. So just when you think that your £400 pay-rise (obviously might be more or less) will give you an extra few quid a month you'll receive the HM Customs letter saying that they will be taking more tax off you to cover the mistake made earlier.

I hate to be the harbinger of doom but this is how they do things.

Back
Top Bottom