• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Weird FPS Drops in COD MW3 on a 7800XT

Associate
Hi everyone I have a 7800XT MBA, 5800X3D, 16gb 3600mhz RAM, on a ROG B550 F WiFi board with latest Win 11, Adrenalin and Bios but noticed recently (more so after Dec game patch) that my fps suddenly tanks on FSR 3.0 Quality mode from 200 to 130-140fps.

7800XT is overclocked in Adrenalin to 3000mhz Max and 500mhz min and undervolted to 1020mv and vram is set at Fast timings and 2614mhz.

I’m on a 750w gold RM750x that’s only 1yr old. Power draw of GPU hits 270-290w

The resolution is 1440p and my monitor max refresh rate is 180hz.

My GPU utilisation (sometimes mid-game) also drops from 100% to 60-89% and CPU utilisation drops from 45-60% to 20%.

I have noticed if I do a PC reset, then all is well for the first multiplayer game but subsequent games have FPS drops as above.

Internet is 150MBs/min on fibre. (No one else is using it)

I’ve modified the COD players file to set core count at 8 (it was set lower at 4 maybe) and have tried turning off SAM but to no avail.

I had thought it was my Bluetooth headset weirdly or coincidentally but I don’t think that would cause a massive fps drop when connected.

BTW it’s only COD that behaves this way, Avatar and Cyberpunk are fine. Also same thing happens even when I remove the overclock and set to Default in Adrenalin, just with even lower frame rates.

Any ideas(anyone! @AMD_Vik )- I’m losing my mind over this!

Thanks.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Can’t be the Bluetooth headset surely? It doesn’t have a separate dongle as it’s cheapo Lenovo earbuds.

Or is it the servers?

Or are AMD cards prone to weird issues like this?

Last edited:
Soldato
Have had this on my 7900xt but very rarely. I think it's a game issue as my mate gets it more than me on a 2070s. I had really bad stutter when I changed to full screen exclusive so changed back to fullscreen borderless. Big patch coming Wednesday so hopefully fixes it.

Last edited:
Associate
Can’t be the Bluetooth headset surely? It doesn’t have a separate dongle as it’s cheapo Lenovo earbuds.

Or is it the servers?

Or are AMD cards prone to weird issues like this?
roll back to December drivers and see if it resolves
some people seem to be having trouble in games with latest driver

Associate
OP
roll back to December drivers and see if it resolves
some people seem to be having trouble in games with latest driver

I’ve done this and dropped the renderer worker count to 6 as per suggestions earlier.

And dropped vram to 80% target in the game.

SOLVED: the only thing that worked was not using my Bluetooth earbuds. 100% gpu utilisation and back up to 180-200fps. ;)

Crazy that I would lose up to 60fps if I did that (use Bluetooth earbuds) and now using a separate dictation microphone as input and using a Bose Soundock wired to audio out.

Thanks everyone.

Has anyone come across Bluetooth dropping fps before?

Last edited:
Associate
I’ve done this and dropped the renderer worker count to 6 as per suggestions earlier.

And dropped vram to 80% target in the game.

SOLVED: the only thing that worked was not using my Bluetooth earbuds. 100% gpu utilisation and back up to 180-200fps. ;)

Crazy that I would lose up to 60fps if I did that (use Bluetooth earbuds) and now using a separate dictation microphone as input and using a Bose Soundock wired to audio out.

Thanks everyone.

Has anyone come across Bluetooth dropping fps before?
Seen this before at work. The cpu enters a wait state waiting for misbehaving hardware. It’s very common with printers. Seen misbehaving printer bring a server to its knees. I suspect the same is happening to your blue tooth device.

Back
Top Bottom