Weird issue with GPU/BOARD (help) , any thoughts

Associate
OK, Got an MSI X570 Tomahawk board with Ryzen 5600x and was using with GTX 1080 until i decided to sell the card, bought a cheap GPU until i eventually got a RTX 3070 MSI Ventus 3x.

After installing, it booted and went very slowly into windows, looked like the FPS was so slow you could see the banding go down the screen as it refreshed loading the desktop background (even done the same in BIOS). Installed NVIDIA drivers and cleaned out old ones with DDU etc, still wasnt right.

Now, went in and changed card into different slow and it worked fine, ahh, must be PCI lanes i thought, thus went into BIOS set lanes to GEN 4 manually, swapped back to x16 lane, rebooted and fine. Played Games no problems, super fast , worked as expected. Went into sleep mode, rebooted fine etc. I had thought the issue resolved....

On a couple of more reboots the issue surfaced again, i went back into bios and moved the settigs around again and put back to what they were, saved and rebooted and it went fine again after loading in windows etc. I have flashed to the latest BIOS on the board.

Really odd, could be a power supply issue (650w gold EVGA G3, this should easily take the GPU and chip) or a BIOS issue of incompatability. I wouldnt have thought its a PCI lane issue as previous GPU worked fine unless it has occurred during installation. It might be a GPU issue but i would have thought you wouldnt get into games and run at full pelt if that was the case.

Any thoughts as its bloody odd, it almost feels the whole system is slowed down when the issue occurrs?

WH

Associate
OP
Sorry if unclear, I originally changed the PCI settings and it seemed ok but reared its ugly head again. I went back into BIOS (slowy as the pc seems to slow up and the BIOS screen refreshes very slowly) and saved again and reset and it seemed to correct itself again. I've rebooted five times since and its fine, im keeping a log.

I havent switched to GEN 3, only Gen 4 at mo, i could try that if and what it happens again to see if that helps.

I need to error test on whether it does it in the second PCI slot at all or whether its just linked to the x16 one.

Its trying to assess whether its the PCI slot, BIOS compatability issue or the graphics card in some way.

If it happens again, i'll record a video and post to youtube and put the link in so you can see whats going on.

WH

Associate
OP
OK, swapped to Gen 3, its possible GEN 4 may have been causing the issue as AUTO may have been selecting that and thus manaully selecting it wouldnt really help. Will see if that has an effect.

Soldato
I was gonna suggest if the settings aren't holding it could be your cmos battery but that would only ever happen if you switched of the psu as well. But if its PCIE lanes are set to Auto yes it could very well be the route cause as it switches between gen 3 and 4. Fixing it to gen 3 should cure it.

Are you using a vertical mount at all?

Associate
OP
Ahh, its mounted normal way although it does have a long bracket to sit underneath GPU to hold the weight, although this card is especially light thus havent installed that bit yet.

Soldato
Ahh, its mounted normal way although it does have a long bracket to sit underneath GPU to hold the weight, although this card is especially light thus havent installed that bit yet.
That won't be the issue then, if you was using a vertical mount and gen 4 there's the possibility that you'd need a gen 4 riser cable for it to work but since you don't thats defo not the issue.

Back
Top Bottom