Weird PSU Problem...

Soldato
Bear with me while I try to explain this...

So I've got an old PC (let's call it PC-A) that's stopped working. When I try to power it on the fans twitch once, but that's it, the hard drive doesn't power up or anything.

Now I've got another PC (PC-B), which is working fine, so I took the PSU out and tried it in PC-A. It still doesn't power up, but this time the CPU fan slowly turns and the PSU fan constantly twitches until I power it off.

Now this is where it gets strange. I've put the PSU from PC-B back, only to find the fans spin up for about a second, then just stop. Even weirder is if I try the PSU from PC-A in PC-B, it powers up and works fine.

So has anyone got any idea what's going on? Why does my previously fine PSU not seem to work at all after plugging it into PC-A, yet the PSU from PC-A will only work in PC-B?

Did that even make sense? :/

Associate
Is this a question from an A+ exam? Seriously though, without a voltmeter you might struggle to isolate exactly what the problem is.

Not very helpful I know but next time your in ******* pick up a basic voltmeter for ten quid.

Madz

Posting any kind of competitor information is not allowed. Please read the FAQ - No promotion of OcUK's competitors section.

Soldato
OP
Is this a question from an A+ exam? Seriously though, without a voltmeter you might struggle to isolate exactly what the problem is.

Not very helpful I know but next time your in *** pick up a basic voltmeter for ten quid.

Madz

Ha, I know, but that's the simplest way I could explain it. :p

I wouldn't even know where to start with a voltmeter though...

Back
Top Bottom