Well damn. New rig and no display!

NightmareXX said:
Well usually if you forget to connect a power lead to your GFX, the monitor still works but it stops during POST and displays a message saying "conenct power to card".

I have first hand experience of that :p Didn't realise my X700 Pro required power so I turned it on and was greeted with that message :)
my 6600GT and my 7800GT both get into windows fine without power, and nVidia control panel displays a message and then just it disables a few features. :confused:

maybe its just clevererererer :p

Have you kept the box your stacker came in? I know I have two different height motherboard standoffs :)

Maybe there is a bag of higher standoffs lurking around? If you like I can see if I have some spare ones of normal size and I could possibly send you them in the post if you need them?

P.S Therion fan??

VaderDSL said:
Have you kept the box your stacker came in? I know I have two different height motherboard standoffs :)

Maybe there is a bag of higher standoffs lurking around? If you like I can see if I have some spare ones of normal size and I could possibly send you them in the post if you need them?

P.S Therion fan??

I am 99.99% certain I haven't missed any other stand offs, but I will check again all the same. You couldnt measure the length of the standoffs could you? If you have got some going spare and they're slightly taller I would be really greatful for them!

Can you just measure the top part of the standoff and not the threaded part

standoff.jpg

And yes, big Therion fan :)

SiriusB

SiriusB said:
Hey all

After speaking to a mate and showing him a picture it seems my PCI cards aren't sitting in their slots properly. As you can see from the image below you can still see the contacts on my GFX card.

DSCN0352Small.jpg

The PCI cards are fitting flush with the PCI securing bracket on the case and are straight. So this leaves the mobo... it would appear the mobo is too low :/

I have used the spacers supplied with my CM Stacker and the odd thing is the ports on the back of the mobo line up perfectly with the rear bracket.

I really dont know what to do... is the case at fault? the spacers? mobo? me? lol. Any ideas?

SiriusB

give it some welly, that cards goto go in loads more than that!

Hi, then just for testing purposes, to see if the system is powering up OK, can't you build the PC outside the case by laying the mobo on something like cardboard or the mobo box and connect up basic parts and power on to see if there is life in the system.

Anthony

Siders77 said:
If you don't have any different sized stand-offs then Email me dude, I have loads. :)

The standoffs I have are 10mm long, not including the threaded part.. so if you have any that are taller... say 11-12mm that would be cool.

give it some welly, that cards goto go in loads more than that!

Only way that card is going in any further is if I saw the bent bit of metal off the card where it screws into the case or I remove the bracket on the case :p

Hi, then just for testing purposes, to see if the system is powering up OK, can't you build the PC outside the case by laying the mobo on something like cardboard or the mobo box and connect up basic parts and power on to see if there is life in the system.

Itll be a little awkward to do that since while putting the pc together I was doing some cable management. I am reluctant to undo all the cable management when I am pretty sure that there is nothing wrong with the hardware.

SiriusB

I was getting no display when I first built up my SLI-D. I did exactly as the dfi-street build guide said to do, plus in all 4 mobo power connectors, use 1 stick of RAM initially in the orange slot DIMM2 (furthest from the CPU) And I was getting no display after I altered any setting inthe BIOS after the restart the monitor was permanently in standy untill I then cleared CMOS. Anyway I tried with memory in the yellow DIMMS and it worked fine.

You've probably already tried this - but just to show It's not always the hardware which seem's most obvious.

Sirius B if you are still having issues, buzz me on MSN. Method that will sort out your standoff trouble but I do not want to post it on the forums as if you read it wrong it will kill your motherboard. (100% safe if you get what I am saying though).

Hey all.

Okay, I think I have discovered the problem! It would appear the mobo tray is slightly bowed. I almost missed it. As I was moving the case out of the way I noticed the tray moved inwards a couple of mm.

So now I have a dilemna... Do I take the case back and pray they have another one and risk the same problem... or do I just get some washers/spacers and just pad out the standoffs where they're lower?

Decisions decisions...

SiriusB

monkeybutt said:
So, you have got the PC working ok now then? If so, i would take the case back. No need for you to have hassle everytime you change the mobo.

Not got it working just yet - plan for later on in the early hours lol.

Dont think it will be a big hassle... all I have to do is keep the spacers and i can probably fix it long term. Gonna get me dad to have a butchers see if hes got any metal I can use as a brace. Dont think I wanna risk not getting another one for the sake of a few millimetres.

SiriusB

Everything is in the case and the PC booted up. Installing Windows as I type :D I will let you all know if everything checks out but so far no problems.

Thanks again for everyone who helped out... and for those who didnt post...SHAME! lol :p

SiriusB

LadFromWales85 said:
How did you fix it in the end?

I put most of my weight onto the mobo tray and it appears to be staying put... I put a pillow underneath it too when installing all the bits to prevent it bowing outwards again when putting pressure on the board [power cables/pci cards etc]

Its all installed proper now and is working. At some point in the near future I think im gonna fit a supporting bar or rod to permenantly prevent it from bowing again.

xirokx said:
LMAO

Nice one dude......thats great

Whats next O'Cing?

Yes! OCing is on the cards but not just yet. I want to get a feel for the system find its quirks and so forth. Happy with stock speeds for the moment anyway - hence why I went for the 4400 and not the 3800.

Give it at least a month I reckon then I'll start seriously considering it.

Spent a great deal of time reading about OCing AMDs and the process seems simple enough - just gonna need a tonne of time lol.

SiriusB

W00t!

This post come to you all from my new rig! *drools*

Well impressed with the big leap in performance - can go from Windows desktop, restart and be back to the desktop in less time it took my old rig to shutdown :p

My X2 4400+ temps are pretty good too:

Idle: 22-23 degrees C
Load [Prime95 on both cores]: 32-34 degrees C

Frostier than a polar bears dangly bits :D

SiriusB

Back
Top Bottom