Well I fell down the custom keyboard world.

Associate
Well here's my finished keyboard. I'm a bit annoyed I didn't clock the missing ISO key caps, even though some ISO caps were included (You'd have thought if they're going to supply the correct size enter key, smaller shift and \| jey they'd also include the correct `¬ 2" 3£ '@ and #~ buttons lol) a few aren't. Not a big deal, but annoying enough. Lovely to type on. If I'm being picky the space bar has a "rattly" or "vibraty" noise when released. More lube needed on the stabs perhaps?

Shifting colour scheme chosen by my 8 and 12 year old kids (I secretly love it..........)

zXNXtBF.jpg
I ordered some dampening foam online for padding the spacebar, but got a similar effect with some folded toilet paper and tape - just didn't like the thought of it combusting (from striking the key? :cry: )

Soldato
I ordered some dampening foam online for padding the spacebar, but got a similar effect with some folded toilet paper and tape - just didn't like the thought of it combusting (from striking the key? :cry: )
Ooo interesting. I assume the foam goes on the inside with a cutout for the led to shine through? I may have to try that! Did it make a fair difference?

Associate
Pretty happy, my Mr Suit arrived yesterday and I love it. Just working out switches then need to find someone to solder the board for me.
I could do it myself, but then I'd have to buy all the kit and I'm not sure I'd usw the soldering kit much.

s1aWumw.jpg

Vtzkw49.jpg

Soldato
Pretty happy, my Mr Suit arrived yesterday and I love it. Just working out switches then need to find someone to solder the board for me.
I could do it myself, but then I'd have to buy all the kit and I'm not sure I'd usw the soldering kit much.

s1aWumw.jpg

Vtzkw49.jpg
Gorgeous that mate, i still want a green board and this colour really pops! Even though i got my second hand the previous owner get the protective plastic on so it looked brand new still! Are you tempted to keep it on or take it off?

The kit for mine came with 2 hotswap pcb's so saved me having to solder thankfully! I can't solder to save my life lol.

Associate
Gorgeous that mate, i still want a green board and this colour really pops! Even though i got my second hand the previous owner get the protective plastic on so it looked brand new still! Are you tempted to keep it on or take it off?

The kit for mine came with 2 hotswap pcb's so saved me having to solder thankfully! I can't solder to save my life lol.
Its a lovely green, and its my fav colour so double happy, now Ive also seen they do a chamfered babypowder verision, man thats lovely. Was thnking either BoW caps or maybe finding some GMK botanicals.

I bought this used off a guy in the US but he had never used it, only opended the box and decided he didn't want it.

Its a toss up bewtween losing resale value by taking off the protection and actually enjoying it. I'll likely take it off, I didn't buy it as an investment. The other option to the solder is to buy a hotswap from qwertykeys, which is likely cheapr than buying soldering kit. Does the HS board have flex cuts?

Soldato
Its a lovely green, and its my fav colour so double happy, now Ive also seen they do a chamfered babypowder verision, man thats lovely. Was thnking either BoW caps or maybe finding some GMK botanicals.

I bought this used off a guy in the US but he had never used it, only opended the box and decided he didn't want it.

Its a toss up bewtween losing resale value by taking off the protection and actually enjoying it. I'll likely take it off, I didn't buy it as an investment. The other option to the solder is to buy a hotswap from qwertykeys, which is likely cheapr than buying soldering kit. Does the HS board have flex cuts?
Yeah the baby powder versions are lovely too but i can't see the point in owning another one lol, just seems abit mental for the same of colour. BoW caps will look amazing tbh, even GMK Olive would look nice too! There was a preorder availabel for Botanicals not long ago, not sure if its still available.

I think im gonna end up taking mine off, though i did think i never see it so it doesn't really matter. Not like i lift the board up to admire the backside of it lol.

Yes it does, the HS board has a lot of cut outs! I used it with a FR4 plate before switching to the gold Alu plate and it was very bouncy, ton of flex!

Associate
Unlimited GB for QK65 is open, the first GB sold out in 20 minutes. I've just placed an order for mine. Very excited!

Just need to decide on caps now, going to be going with Cherry MX White switches.

Soldato
Unlimited GB for QK65 is open, the first GB sold out in 20 minutes. I've just placed an order for mine. Very excited!

Just need to decide on caps now, going to be going with Cherry MX White switches.
Congrats mate! Been using mine for some time now and its a brilliant board for the price. Was tempted to buy a second one so i can change the colours around abit but i have my eye set on some other boards right now.

Soldato
ANSI. QK only have HS ansi boards as well. I’ll just have to keep an eye out for a HS board maybe.

QK65 is now available in ISO hotswap. If you are near to me I'd gladly help you solder a board though.

I ordered a QK65 with ISO HS with POM and FR4 plates. This will be my third build after KBD75 and GMMK Pro.

Associate
QK65 is now available in ISO hotswap. If you are near to me I'd gladly help you solder a board though.
Thats very kind of you, un/fortunately I don't live in the UK or I'd take you up your offer. I think I have found a streamer in Paris who may be able to do it for me for his content so win/win.

I have a blue QK65 and its amazing, I am tempted to get a grey with pink bottom to go with my JTK Night Sakura caps.

Associate
Thats very kind of you, un/fortunately I don't live in the UK or I'd take you up your offer. I think I have found a streamer in Paris who may be able to do it for me for his content so win/win.

I have a blue QK65 and its amazing, I am tempted to get a grey with pink bottom to go with my JTK Night Sakura caps.
That sounds like a nice colour combo.

I went for a black bottom/silver top. I wanted a neutral colour profile so that It matches many sets, if I want to get new caps in the future.

Associate

Do you know if Stabs come with the QK65, or do i need to order my own?

Associate
Morning all,

So, I saw this thread, went on Youtube and now I've ended up down a hole. Thankfully I'm not too invested at this stage but I do intend to build my first mechanical keyboard. I'm looking for solid bang for buck, to begin with.

For clarity, I've ordered a Keychron Q3 ISO (no knob) base unit with the intention of possibly doing some light mods, getting my own switches and caps etc.. I wanted an 80% board for light work/browsing and gaming and, it seems like a solid first choice. If successful, I'd likely look to get a 96% board for work and adjust the 80% board for play.

I'm currently thinking I'd prefer yellow switches on that basis but, which ones (especially brand) is something i'm not sure on. I'd also prefer pre-lubed for now.

GMMK seem to have some nice keycap sets I'd quite like but, what other brands are there?

However, boy do I have some questions. Hopefully this is the right place to ask them. I realise that the answers to a lot of these might be subjective and situational.

Modding.

- Foam. I see talk of various types of damping foam being used. What are they, in which situations are they used and which is 'best'?
- Plates. I believe the Q3 comes with a steel plate but there are options available for aluminum, brass etc.. Again, what and why? I assume there's a pitch/tone element here?
- Tape. Seems to be a fairly common thing people do (?) but, what kind of tape? It looks like masking tape but, is there a certain type/brand?

Switches.

So, this itself feels like a whole maze of it's own. I get that broadly you have Clicky, Linear and Tactile and then within that you have degrees of but, i see some brands have things that seem like a hybrid and have a random name like 'pumpkin'.
Is there a guide or cheatsheet that maps all of them? I realise for my purposes i don't have a need to too deep at this stage but it would make interesting reading.

Keycaps.

Do most sets fit most boards? Which types suit which application etc..? Which brands are a solid choice. I have my eye on the GMMK celestial sets that are due for release at some point. I think they look fantastic.

Plus, any other advice generally?

Back
Top Bottom