We're now "allowed" to make personal copies of music.

Soldato
Raymond Lin said:
Has anyone not notice 1 very important point.

He has no legal power, he doesn't make the law, the parliament does. Dispite what he has said, until it is written into the legislation or we have a precedence case law then technically we are still breaking the law should any studio or artist decide to sue.
As far as I understand this kind of offence is a civil one. This means that the record companies or some representative group would have to sue an individual through the courts. Thus what the BPI are saying is that they won't pursue private individuals through the court but will go after the pirates making money from piracy.

Anyone who knows this better than I do is more than welcome to correct me; I think I read this somewhere in the last two or three days but can't remember where exactly.

Associate
PinkPig said:
If she's copied them from someone else then this statement is irrelevant, they're only talking about copies made for your own personal use (ie from CD to iPod)

Why is there always someone looking to rip your statement to pieces..... :mad: Yes I can bloody read the original statement and understand it.

Once upon a time there was vinyl and cassettes, she made a lot of copies to play them in the car.

Soldato
Raymond Lin said:
He has no legal power, he doesn't make the law, the parliament does. Dispite what he has said, until it is written into the legislation or we have a precedence case law then technically we are still breaking the law should any studio or artist decide to sue.
Well the way I understand it, he represents the copyright holders of the music. So if he says it's ok then that means the record companies are effectively giving permission to copy CDs onto MP3 players. If you have permission from the copyright holder, it's no longer illegal.

Soldato
Basically they have made it legal to do what most people have been doing since they got an digital audio player. If you use iTunes anyway you technically have two copies, one on your iPod and another on your PC in iTunes.

I was reading about a US law that they were considering bringing (on digg.com) in that would require you to hold a licence for every copy of a song you own, it also covered copies in RAM or Internet cache. The people who dream up this legislation must be idiots because they have no concept of how technology works when they come up with these ideas.

Back
Top Bottom