Wet carpet

Soldato
Just by the feet blowers - I got damp patches on the carpet - one damp patch per footwell.

Can't actually see any leaks - can't even find any hoses nearby so it does look like it's moisture blowing through the foot vents off the aircon. :confused: Is that what it is? Moisture in the aircon system?

What shall I do? Just get an aircon monkey out to regass it or whatever?

Aircon works nicely enough and when I stop the car after using the aircon - it has a wee on the road like it should.

Don
Check your coolant levels, it could be a heater matrix hose leaking (not connected to the aircon IIRC)

What car is it? Check windscreen and door seals too!

Soldato
burns said:
My guess would be leaky heater matrix, that's the usual reason for wet footwells.

Yup sounds like a heater matrix, and if its anything like mine which burst a few weeks back, its a full dashout job and one of the worst jobs ive ever done!

Soldato
OP
Coolant is full to the top - no problems there.

Just done a test on the heater/aircon computer - it didn't bring up any fault codes.

Bringing the dash out isn't a problem if it is a loose hose - the dash is in two parts & the bit covering the heater matrix comes off in 2 mins.

If it was a leak in the heater matrix - would I be short on coolant?

Soldato
OP
Ok, I've just swabbed the carpet lol :D

It's definately clear odourless water on the carpet.

Please tell me it aint a leak, surely it can't be a leak if the coolant is to the top - that aint budged from the level is was a year ago.

Associate
Dab a piece of white toilet paper on the damp patch, if the colour of the liquid is the same as your coolant, then it's likely to be as suggested.

If not then it might be leaking in from the outside,or a spilt drink or bottle broken (silly i know, but you never know, i've had damp patches caused by cans damaging and leaking)

Soldato
OP
austinpowers said:
Dab a piece of white toilet paper on the damp patch, if the colour of the liquid is the same as your coolant, then it's likely to be as suggested.

If not then it might be leaking in from the outside,or a spilt drink or bottle broken (silly i know, but you never know, i've had damp patches caused by cans damaging and leaking)

Beat you to it (great minds). It's definately water.

Nothing spilt - it's damp in two places - one damp patch per footwell two feet apart.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
dsc02702.jpg

dsc02705.jpg

This is why my footwells were wet, it's rotten as a wotsit and full of holes :p

Associate
merlin said:
Beat you to it (great minds). It's definately water.

Nothing spilt - it's damp in two places - one damp patch per footwell two feet apart.

Yeah, i pressed submit then noticed you'd said the same, doh :p

I guess if it's in the same place both sides, then it's probably coming out of the footwell vents, might be an idea to dry it out, (heaters on full)

Do you drive with the aircon on normally? Might be an idea to try it off for a day then on, to see when it starts leaking...

Maybe the condensor iced up and has now melted.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Yeah think I'll leave it, see what happens.

The coolant is lime green and the carpet is damp with clear water so it aint a leak thankfully.

Might just leave it till next service and get the aircon drained and refilled/gassed or whatever it is that needs doing every few years.

Soldato
Common fault on mondeos is the pollen filter seal going and letting water through to passenger footwell. Sunroof seals can also go on a lot of cars and drip down onto carpet. But as you don't mention the car this is just speculation.

Man of Honour
Jonny69 said:
dsc02702.jpg

dsc02705.jpg

This is why my footwells were wet, it's rotten as a wotsit and full of holes :p

I just welled that up :).. however, found more rust, under *** air vents in front of the windscreen, under the top part opf bonnet. Guess what straight though to the footwell..

Soldato
OP
After talking to some guys on dc5 forum and nosing around the CTR forum - I decided to get the aircon recharged.

Will keep an eye on it in case I'm celebrating too early but there's not a drop of water anywhere now.

Back
Top Bottom