Whaley Bridge (UK) - attempted burglary / shooting

Soldato
Looks like a farmer wasn't too happy with being burgled and shot two people, killing one.

The farmer has been arrested for "murder and attempted murder". I'd be very surprised if he was convicted unless he's somehow entrapped the would-be burglars. What do you think about this incident?

Soldato
OP
Personally I think if someone breaks into your house they should leave their rights at the door, but shooting them is always going to be a difficult one to explain, and, like the Tony Martin case, it wouldn't surprise me if they were running away at the time...
Hopefully that isn't the case. I'd be surprised if a jury would convict the farmer if it looks like a legitimate case of defending himself / property.

I do wonder if the police will try to get him on something else like improper storage of his (I assume) shotgun.

Soldato
I think this sort of thing is going to happen more often as the police have withdrawn from actively being present. There is no deterrent and everyone knows it.

It'll be interesting to know more details of the case. Because unless they were running away and he shot them at distance I can't see the case to answer.

I thought the law changed since Tony Martin, and that similar cases were dismissed?

Man of Honour
If they were shot running away could be a difficult one, but 4 people up to no good in a remote area... I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often around here with an increase in burglaries and/or people disturbed up to no good given how tooled up many of the farmers, etc. are.

Soldato
If they were shot running away could be a difficult one, but 4 people up to no good in a remote area... I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often around here with an increase in burglaries and/or people disturbed up to no good given how tooled up many of the farmers, etc. are.
A lot of people probably do feel like they are on their own now. Around here a burglar would be long gone before the police turned up.

Soldato

The exact details are going to be rather important e.g.

Scenario 1. A group of armed men burst into your remote home and you use the shotgun you just happened to be cleaning to shoot them in the front, killing one as you are in genuine fear for your life. The rest run off and you do not follow them.

Scenario 2. You hear a noise outside so you grab your gun and go out to confront a group of men. They run away and you shoot them in the back, reloading and following them to take more shots, killing one.

Back
Top Bottom