What 4K Monitor do I pick?

Associate
OP
Samsung 32" Quantum Dot QLED VA 4K, I just got 1 and it's beautiful, A true 10bit panel also, No dithering, No need to use windows scaling, It's a joy to use.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/sams...-dot-gaming-widescreen-monitor-mo-23b-sa.html
freesync so doesn't work with Nvidia :(

I found a used Asus PB287Q. Any owners around here? ADvice?

Maybe I could fetch it for around 220 quid, no more warranty on it though. I would used this is a stop gap until either something better comes around at 4k/IPS/Gsync and 32" or maybe sometime next year a 27/28 144Hz if they finally come out.

What do you think?

Soldato
freesync so doesn't work with Nvidia :(

I found a used Asus PB287Q. Any owners around here? ADvice?

Maybe I could fetch it for around 220 quid, no more warranty on it though. I would used this is a stop gap until either something better comes around at 4k/IPS/Gsync and 32" or maybe sometime next year a 27/28 144Hz if they finally come out.

What do you think?

The PB287Q is a decent monitor even though its TN, For that price it's worth picking up.

Associate
OP
The PB287Q is a decent monitor even though its TN, For that price it's worth picking up.

Thanks! meanwhile, it went and now on black friday there are not many options to choose from :(

Found a couple of XB321HK for around 600 ish used and still under warranty however I also found a lot of users with a lot of problems with them (flicker, dead pixels, etc) so not really convinced about that monitor either now. Really no idea what to choose.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think I might have found it: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/acer...descreen-led-monitor-black-red-mo-096-ac.html
Smaller, but I do not have a big desk and seems to have quite good panels.

I'm reading the topic about freesync vs gsync now, so thanks for all your answers, I will report back once I got my monitor.

I've had extensive experience with both G-Sync and Freesync and they are both quickly becoming a little obsolete, Nvidia now have Fast-Sync and AMD have Enhanced Sync, Both allow for a tear free experience and both allow FPS to go over your monitors refresh rate without tearing and both are within your driver for free.

Get a decent monitor but don't bother with G-Sync and save yourself a few hundred £££ that can either be put toward an even better monitor or a random system upgrade.

Associate
OP
I've had extensive experience with both G-Sync and Freesync and they are both quickly becoming a little obsolete, Nvidia now have Fast-Sync and AMD have Enhanced Sync, Both allow for a tear free experience and both allow FPS to go over your monitors refresh rate without tearing and both are within your driver for free.

Get a decent monitor but don't bother with G-Sync and save yourself a few hundred £££ that can either be put toward an even better monitor or a random system upgrade.
Ok this is new to me. I did read about it but never saw it explained like you just did.

So what you are saying is that I can just get any gsync/free sync or normal 4k/60Hz monitor and I will be fine with just activating Fast Sync in Nvidia control panel? And all that offers a similar experience to Gsync?
Cause I would happily save me some cash and get a good 4k IPS monitor and job done if this holds true.

Soldato
Ok this is new to me. I did read about it but never saw it explained like you just did.

So what you are saying is that I can just get any gsync/free sync or normal 4k/60Hz monitor and I will be fine with just activating Fast Sync in Nvidia control panel? And all that offers a similar experience to Gsync?
Cause I would happily save me some cash and get a good 4k IPS monitor and job done if this holds true.

Fast-Sync works on every single monitor regardless if it's G-Sync, Freesync or standard monitor.

I'm saying this as someone who has owned the PG278Q, PG279Q for my Nvidia cards and various Freesync displays for my AMD cards, With the new driver implementations it's a waste of money honestly.

Put the extra money saved towards a 32" 4K IPS/VA panel and have some fun gaming in crispy bliss.

Soldato
I read this thread :https://youtu.be/L07t_mY2LEU
Gsync and Fast sync do two different things apparently as a result of the tests there, one covers problems when frame rates are above refresh rates and the other one below so they do not exclude each other.

I can only convey my own experience, I've done blind A/B tests with Fast-Sync and G-sync and couldn't tell the difference and I bet the majority of people couldn't either but owners of said G-sync monitors will go to great lengths to defend their purchases :p

Associate
OP
I can only convey my own experience, I've done blind A/B tests with Fast-Sync and G-sync and couldn't tell the difference and I bet the majority of people couldn't either but owners of said G-sync monitors will go to great lengths to defend their purchases :p
I bet :) I want to avoid that if I can, that's why I am doing this research...
Any recommendations then from you on this front? ie 27/28 or 32 inch 4k IPS or VA 60 Hz?

Associate
OP
If you want 4K crispy bliss then 32" is a must and minimum otherwise you'll be using windows scaling at 27/28" and it's not that good.

On OCUK the good picks for size and price are definitely the 43" Phillips BDM4350UC for £569.99, The 43" Acer
ET430KWMIIPPX for £499.99 and the 40" Phillips BDM4037UW for £599.99.

thanks! 40 is way too big for me/desk and where I will sit, it has to be 32" then

how about: Samsung U32H850 ?
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/sams...-dot-gaming-widescreen-monitor-mo-23b-sa.html

or this: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/sams...g-widescreen-led-monitor-black-mo-217-sa.html

the problem I am seeing now is that for a similar good monitor to the available gsync ones I would probably have to pay a similar price and then also why not do gsync since I am at it?

so from your experience you would definitely not recommend under 32" for 4k then? you mean that the windows desktop experience will suck because of scaling?

Last edited:
Soldato
thanks! 40 is way too big for me/desk and where I will sit, it has to be 32" then

how about: Samsung U32H850 ?

That's the monitor I got 2-3 days ago, It's beautiful, Quantum Dot mixed with 4K and VA is a really nice mix, Colours REALLY pop and as it's 32" you don't really need to use Windows scaling, Yes it has Freesync but it's not something you NEED to use and it doesn't really add on to the price.

Well worth it IMO, It's the first monitor in quite a long time that I've actually been happy with and that's saying something considering I've had the Asus PG278Q/PG279Q :)

Associate
OP
That's the monitor I got 2-3 days ago, It's beautiful, Quantum Dot mixed with 4K and VA is a really nice mix, Colours REALLY pop and as it's 32" you don't really need to use Windows scaling, Yes it has Freesync but it's not something you NEED to use and it doesn't really add on to the price.

Well worth it IMO, It's the first monitor in quite a long time that I've actually been happy with and that's saying something considering I've had the Asus PG278Q/PG279Q :)
That's what I've figured - from the list on there seemed like the one to go for :)
Thanks for all the great info, I will do some reading up now and let's see what I will decide. Don't want to rush it!

Soldato
That's what I've figured - from the list on there seemed like the one to go for :)
Thanks for all the great info, I will do some reading up now and let's see what I will decide. Don't want to rush it!

To answer your edited info.

You are definitely not going to get a 32" 4K monitor that has G-Sync built into it for £600, A 4K 32" G-Sync capable monitor costs a few quid shy of £1000.

The first monitor linked is the one I got 2-3 days ago as I said before, The 2nd one, The U32E850R is actually the predecessor to the U32H850 minus a few tiny variations, It came out 12 months before the U32H850.

Windows desktop use at 4K is really nice but you have to have 32" at the minimum to avoid using windows scaling which does and doesn;t work.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Update: I ended up going for a 32" IPS 4k Acer Predator for £800 as prices have come down with black friday. Now after using it extensively I can tell you I am not that happy about it. All the things that people talk about are true, namely things like artefacts randomly appearing, bleeding in all 4 corners although mine is not suffering from it massively, and then the headache of setup with limiting fps, use for what game what, gsync not working properly with some games (CS GO - I've tried everything on forums/reddit/etc still have tearing!)

But maybe the thing that bothers me the most is that for normal use and for my desk I find this monitor too big and not easy on the eyes at all compares to my previous Dell IPS even in normal usage(so there must be some flicker or something as clearly my eyes hurt even the next day - and yes, I use it from the correct distance). Not to mention that with my mac paired with is nowhere near as usable on native resolution as a 2k monitor (constantly have to fiddle with settings to get it into something usable).

So this monitor is going back because of all these problems that just should not be there for a monitor in this price-range. I feel like I paid a lot for something that is not delivering and not convincing me.

Next option on the list is to go for a 27" IPS 144Hz and give that a go with my GTX1080 and see how will be doing. Not too many option in this range either, it is probably coming down as said in other threads to 3-4 monitors (asus, acer, viewsonic with prices ranging from £500-800 again). Giving that a go now and if again disappointed with the same quality control ie artefacts and bleeding that will go back as well and either I swap my GPU for a Vega and try a Freesync monitor or give up on this altogether.

My personal conclusion after spending over £1100 for an upgrade from 2k to 4k gaming/desktop usage is that the benefits are not worth it. I somehow wish I spend the money on something else and stayed with GTX970 and my dell with its 5ms+ response time that I've got used to. Yes, some games look amazing on a static image if you compare things side by side but when once you start playing you see the defects faster with this monitor rather then the things you gain.

Another things bugging me: I've just upgraded the nvidia drivers last night and it screwed up my League of Legends Gsync setup (which was vsync turned off in game, all max, and fps capped at 60 and gsync turned on from nvidia control panel). Now with the same settings LoL is ruined, barely playable - felt slow, laggy, blurry almost from the tearing! I had to turn Vsync on to even make it barely work.

All this stuff is unacceptable from a pricey setup like this and for this kind of price-range premium. Don't get me wrong, I am all about paying for quality as I do believe you will have long forgotten about how much you paid when you get quality and if you get inferior products the flaws will be a daily reminder of what you have paid. Seems like we are taking 5 steps forward and 7 steps back when upgrading tech nowdays.

Maybe it is just me or the way I was settings things up and reading online? BTW all of this happened on a fresh copy of windows, fresh drivers etc

Associate
OP
Update2: I just sent this monitor back. I even had tearning on no 4k youtube videos. I've plugged in my 7 year old 24 basic LED Samsung and it has less tearing in CS and Overwatch, it is amazing how bad this IPS panel was performing. I'll be amazed if they come out with a good 4k 144Hz anytime soon even if it looks like they are gearing up for it.

I am now looking for a used 144 Hz Gsync 27" with any panel as long it is a good price to bridge me until better monitors come out.

Back
Top Bottom