What 'adult' things can you not do but maybe should be able to?

Soldato
I have never driven abroad and am hopeless at DIY. But I can swim. Guess I stopped advancing after learning to swim haha.
I've never driven in Europe but when we went to America I drove there (as in while there not to there that would have been a very wet drive:D). Figured rightly or wrongly the standard of driving would be better than some parts of spain:p.

Man of Honour
I've never driven abroad. My wife is a terrible passenger so whenever we're in the car together, she drives.

Throughout much of my life including before I learnt to drive I spent too much time playing games like GTA and Test Drive, etc. heh - I can interchangeably swap between driving on either side in real life without a problem.

Soldato
I've never driven abroad. My wife is a terrible passenger so whenever we're in the car together, she drives.
I'm glad I learnt to drive when I was 17/18 but I've never owned a car. Living in London we don't have a car and obviously don't drive very often. However for my job I often (well once every few weeks) have to work offsite and this would involve a train and a cab each way which is tedious and takes much longer than a car. So I've been weighing up getting a car for that purpose, and also just so I can get used to driving. Whenever we rent a car we just have my girlfriend drive because she's more experienced and there's no point paying an extra £10/day for the privilege. But she also doesn't like driving abroad. I'd love to do a driving holiday ala The Trip where we'd actually get out to see some countryside in France/Spain/Italy/Greece but we're too scared to rent a car and do it :(

Soldato
I'm glad I learnt to drive when I was 17/18 but I've never owned a car. Living in London we don't have a car and obviously don't drive very often. However for my job I often (well once every few weeks) have to work offsite and this would involve a train and a cab each way which is tedious and takes much longer than a car. So I've been weighing up getting a car for that purpose, and also just so I can get used to driving. Whenever we rent a car we just have my girlfriend drive because she's more experienced and there's no point paying an extra £10/day for the privilege. But she also doesn't like driving abroad. I'd love to do a driving holiday ala The Trip where we'd actually get out to see some countryside in France/Spain/Italy/Greece but we're too scared to rent a car and do it :(

The stupid thing is, I know that I'd manage just fine driving abroad, I actively want to, just don't get the chance! And now there's a stigma around it because I'm 32 and not done it, which adds an unhelpful pressure.

Soldato
bi-lateral breathing on front crawl, juggling ...

learn to stop worrying and love Facebook/Twitter/whatsapp's contribution to society, and, tolerate emoji use to compensate for lack of ********

Caporegime
driving on the other side isn't hard. you just have to be more aware than you are here. however I would say LA drivers are some of the worst in the world. make sure you go for the top insurance plan it only costs a few quid and will cover you for the worst should it happen. it's the reason why I went for a Porsche SUV over a convertible mustang in the end. safer vehicle and still got the fun aspect to it if you go for the S/Turbo models.

Soldato
The stupid thing is, I know that I'd manage just fine driving abroad, I actively want to, just don't get the chance! And now there's a stigma around it because I'm 32 and not done it, which adds an unhelpful pressure.
Yep exactly.

driving on the other side isn't hard. you just have to be more aware than you are here. however I would say LA drivers are some of the worst in the world. make sure you go for the top insurance plan it only costs a few quid and will cover you for the worst should it happen. it's the reason why I went for a Porsche SUV over a convertible mustang in the end. safer vehicle and still got the fun aspect to it if you go for the S/Turbo models.
This is the thing. I actually go to LA for work and some people hire a car when they do. It's like London; the driving is so absolutely awful that there's no way you'd be the worst! But when your in LA for work and going out every night it's far easier (and cheaper!) to do Uber to and from the office.

RxR

RxR

Soldato
Atm, walk down a set of stairs without falling unless I grip both walls / handrails. I'm still injured from my last fall down the stairs 4 days ago.

Caporegime
Yep exactly.

This is the thing. I actually go to LA for work and some people hire a car when they do. It's like London; the driving is so absolutely awful that there's no way you'd be the worst! But when your in LA for work and going out every night it's far easier (and cheaper!) to do Uber to and from the office.

thats if you are only going to and from 1 place. LA is like what 80 cities rolled into one in terms of size. it's 75 miles top to bottom for instance (by road) and even wider.

both have their pros and cons. i was going to do uber but when you realise how big it is and if you want to see lots of different things and not stay within a small radius. you need to hire a car there is no getting around that. especially if you have kids that need a car seat, etc or something along those lines.

Associate
What makes it fun picking up a car from LAX and getting out of the city is that you are in the middle of the city, or it feels like it so its a very fast introduction to the street etiquette

Soldato
thats if you are only going to and from 1 place. LA is like what 80 cities rolled into one in terms of size. it's 75 miles top to bottom for instance (by road) and even wider.
I generally Uber between my hotel and office, and stay somewhere where I can walk to restaurants in the evening if I'm on my own (West Hollywood). If I'm going out with friends/colleagues in the evening, I'm lucky in that my company is absolutely fine with those sorts of expenses. But this is all around Hollywood/Studio City/Burbank, I agree that if someone is sightseeing then Uber wouldn't be the way to do it in LA.

And LA is comically massive. I have family down near Venice and for them to come up my way for dinner or something is like 1hr drive. Perfectly normal in LA terms but for us that sounds ridiculous. I like spending a few days with them when I'm over though, it's nice to see the beach towns down there like Manhattan Beach, Santa Monica obviously :)

Soldato
I didn’t find LA anywhere as bad to drive around than SF/Silicon Valley. Being upgraded to a Chevy Tahoe for free by Hertz at LAX as the didn’t have a full size saloon could have been a factor as Apple only used to pay for a compact car out of SFO and no-one fears a compact sized car...

Caporegime
I didn’t find LA anywhere as bad to drive around than SF/Silicon Valley. Being upgraded to a Chevy Tahoe for free by Hertz at LAX as the didn’t have a full size saloon could have been a factor as Apple only used to pay for a compact car out of SFO and no-one fears a compact sized car...

Why do you want people to fear you?

Back
Top Bottom