what am i missing here (XP file sharing)

Associate
i have around 5 PCs in one workgroup. I want to move on from simple file sharing to have more control over who can read and who has full access to my shared folders.

i thought this would work:

on my main PC I created a copy of my dads profile (same name&pass)
shared a folder, and in permissions chose his user and gave him read access.
Also added him on the security tab.
removed the everybody group

if he tries to connect from his PC he gets the "\\computer\folder not accessible access denied" message.

If I leave the everyone group there, then he can access it fine.
i notice that when i add him within permissions its litsed as

\\my computer\his user

...should it be

\\his computer\\his user

..is that even possible?

can you see what im missing? (I admit this is new to me!)

Thanks in advance

*Edit*
I've realised its something to do with my dads profile, If I creat another profile on his PC and then on min it works fine. any ideas on how to rectify this? (I dont want to delted his user and lose his stuff)
Thanks

Last edited:
Associate
I am not sure I have this right you copied your dad profile from his pc to yours is that right? If so the profile would be wrong as the sid wouldnt match.
I assume you are setting permissions on the files not on the share?
Do you have simple file sharing turned off?
The simplest way is via command line like this type on his pc from a cmd prompt or as a batch file

net use P: \\yourcompname\sharename password /user:username so you would get
net use P: \\blackxp\d$ password /user:dad
setup a username and password on your pc and use that to connect.

You can save this as a cmd file so they can use it to connect

Win uses the guest account to connect or the account of the current logged on user which why it works with everyone. using the cmd line ensures you logon with the right credentials. Be very careful removing everyone as you can lock everyone out as admin is in that group as well.

Soldato
As samuria said, copying his profile wont work because the sid is unique to the pc it was created on. all you really need is to set up a username and password on your pc for him to use when he gets prompted for a username and password (you could setup the same username and password thats on his current pc if you want)

also again as samuria said, running a net use in the cmd or as a batch file (copy them lines into a text file and rename it .bat) will just map out a network drive in my computer under your CD drives. this is probably the easiest way to access network shares without having to go through network places etc

Back
Top Bottom